The Rancor Pit Forum Index
Welcome to The Rancor Pit forums!

The Rancor Pit Forum Index
FAQ   ::   Search   ::   Memberlist   ::   Usergroups   ::   Register   ::   Profile   ::   Log in to check your private messages   ::   Log in

Force Jump - from fan book force powers
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> House Rules -> Force Jump - from fan book force powers
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Cowboy Hat
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

PostPosted: Tue Dec 06, 2011 5:11 pm    Post subject: Force Jump - from fan book force powers Reply with quote

Please can someone give me a different example than in the book as it seems to show someone with high force powers starting with 4D in jump, taking a bunch of MAP by activating alter and control (not mentioned that you have to take alter before, just that you have to have telekinesis), end up passing difficulties but finish up with a total of 4D in jump (that they started with) and making a jump that anyone could attempt to make with the same amount of dice, no force powers and having suffered no MAP.

if that makes sense...

ref: Force Powers page 46
Matthias777
Commodore
Commodore

PostPosted: Wed Dec 07, 2011 3:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Whoa, had to do a double-take when I first read this post. Laughing That avatar looks familiar...

This power, as written, seems fairly silly, for several reasons, unless you add in a line that says, "This Force power allows a Force-user to use the difficulty number table below when attempting to use the Force to augment his or her jump." An average human who hasn't increased their Climbing/Jumping skill has a skill level of...2D. The accepted average number for a D6 roll is 3.5; hence, their average roll will be a 7. The average human can jump (beginning vs. final placement of their feet) about half a meter. 60-70 centimeters or more is considered the top end for most athletes (I read that Michael Jordan could regularly jump 42" vertically (107cm) in his prime; that's increased height, not getting his feet up on something). Ryan Moody, the Guinness World Record holder for a standing-still jump onto a platform, has a recorded best of 1.4 meters, and the world record (from the same guy) for a vertical jump with a running start is 1.74 meters. Both of his records, however, include artificially decreasing the height of the ledge/block by drawing his legs up underneath him (Moody is 5'9", or 175cm tall).

According to the rulebook, the best on the planet = 8D-9D skill level. This is his record, not what he does every time he jumps. So above average; we'll say an average of 4.5 on every die with 8D skill level to give the average Joe the best shot at making the curve. 8 * 4.5 = 36. So a skill roll of 36 would mean that the best person on our planet could jump 1.4 meters straight up, or 1.74 meters with a few steps running start. Not 20 meters straight up, as the chart in the Force Jump rules would suggest. I can only fathom that the writer meant to imply that only someone using the Force to augment his or her jump would be able to make jumps like that, using that chart.

Last edited by Matthias777 on Wed Dec 07, 2011 4:52 pm; edited 2 times in total
Bren
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

PostPosted: Wed Dec 07, 2011 3:27 pm    Post subject: Re: Force Jump - from fan book force powers Reply with quote

Cowboy Hat wrote:
ref: Force Powers page 46
Which Force Power and which book?

In other words - are you asking about the Force Jump Fan Made power on page 44 of the Force Powers PDF Compiled by Cheshire and edited by Thiago S. Aranha or are you asking about some other power?

If it's the Fan Made Force Jump on page 44, then Matthias777's comment is right on target. The advantage of using the power (even if the MAPs cancel out any bonus) is the Height Jumped table lets a Jedi jump much higher than would be possible with a non-Force assisted jump.
Matthias777
Commodore
Commodore

PostPosted: Wed Dec 07, 2011 4:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Remember that these are difficulties based on a flat-footed stance once atop the ledge (or whatever)...you can add up to 125% of the character's height (for most humanoid species) to his jump height if he only wants to grab onto it, or add up to 50% of the character's height to their jump if he or she is willing to land in a full crouch (drawing your legs up underneath you effectively brings the soles of your feet up that high, try it). Obviously compared to the boost you get from the Force, this isn't much, but it's something. You can test these figures out yourself if you have a tape measure, a wall, and maybe someone to help you (not necessary, but it helps).

To put this in perspective, I found out how tall Ryan Moody is (the world record holder mentioned above) and edited it into my earlier post. He's 5'9", or 175cm tall; this means that Earth's world record holder could theoretically land standing straight up (assuming he had time to straighten to full height---unlikely) after making a maximum vertical jump of 52cm from a standstill, or a maximum vertical jump of 86cm with a running start.
vanir
Jedi

PostPosted: Wed Dec 07, 2011 10:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The original description of enhance attribute stated that this was the power Luke used to Force jump at Bespin.

However the way it is filmed appears that Lucas intended to display a telekinesis-based Force jump.

Telekinese a heavier mass than yourself in this sense and I guess the thinking is it doesn't move, you do. So you'd roll for your mass on the telekinesis and use the power between the object and yourself, instead of the ship and the shore for example in Yoda's use.
Cowboy Hat
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

PostPosted: Thu Dec 08, 2011 4:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Matthias777 wrote:
Whoa, had to do a double-take when I first read this post. Laughing That avatar looks familiar...

This power, as written, seems fairly silly, for several reasons, unless you add in a line that says, "This Force power allows a Force-user to use the difficulty number table below when attempting to use the Force to augment his or her jump." An average human who hasn't increased their Climbing/Jumping skill has a skill level of...2D. The accepted average number for a D6 roll is 3.5; hence, their average roll will be a 7. The average human can jump (beginning vs. final placement of their feet) about half a meter. 60-70 centimeters or more is considered the top end for most athletes (I read that Michael Jordan could regularly jump 42" vertically (107cm) in his prime; that's increased height, not getting his feet up on something). Ryan Moody, the Guinness World Record holder for a standing-still jump onto a platform, has a recorded best of 1.4 meters, and the world record (from the same guy) for a vertical jump with a running start is 1.74 meters. Both of his records, however, include artificially decreasing the height of the ledge/block by drawing his legs up underneath him (Moody is 5'9", or 175cm tall).

According to the rulebook, the best on the planet = 8D-9D skill level. This is his record, not what he does every time he jumps. So above average; we'll say an average of 4.5 on every die with 8D skill level to give the average Joe the best shot at making the curve. 8 * 4.5 = 36. So a skill roll of 36 would mean that the best person on our planet could jump 1.4 meters straight up, or 1.74 meters with a few steps running start. Not 20 meters straight up, as the chart in the Force Jump rules would suggest. I can only fathom that the writer meant to imply that only someone using the Force to augment his or her jump would be able to make jumps like that, using that chart.

thanks

I think I might need to do some sort of "normal" chart vs "augmented force power" chart for reference.

And yep bren, meant the force powers fan book - should have said the one that was compiled, but I thought the thread title and page reference for Force Powers was enough :S
Matthias777
Commodore
Commodore

PostPosted: Thu Dec 08, 2011 12:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cowboy Hat wrote:
thanks

I think I might need to do some sort of "normal" chart vs "augmented force power" chart for reference.

And yep bren, meant the force powers fan book - should have said the one that was compiled, but I thought the thread title and page reference for Force Powers was enough :S

No problem. I think the reason for Bren's confusion was the difference in page numbers. If this helps, here's the original 5-page thread on the development of this Force power.

I checked Guinness, and apparently the guy I posted (Ryan Moody) doesn't hold the world record at 1.4m; Jonas Huusom does, at 1.44m. I think I may start another thread on jumping without the aid of the Force, as I am trying to come up with a chart.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> House Rules All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: