The Rancor Pit Forum Index
Welcome to The Rancor Pit forums!

The Rancor Pit Forum Index
FAQ   ::   Search   ::   Memberlist   ::   Usergroups   ::   Register   ::   Profile   ::   Log in to check your private messages   ::   Log in

Astrogation Difficulty
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> House Rules -> Astrogation Difficulty Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5
View previous topic :: View next topic  
vanir
Jedi

PostPosted: Sat Nov 19, 2011 9:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

okay sorry mate, not trying to offend, just trying to rationalise as simply as possible mostly for me to get it clear.

Look, you're probably quite right. My problem is that I keep losing the plot trying to follow you and default back to pilot training (4yrs RAAF...I should say AirTC, I didn't go career). So then I get anxious and I try to sound board it off the thread.

honestly sorry, was not my intention to offend, I lose track if I get a little personal sometimes, my apolegies.
Mikael Hasselstein
Line Captain
Line Captain

PostPosted: Sat Nov 19, 2011 1:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

vanir wrote:
okay sorry mate, not trying to offend, just trying to rationalise as simply as possible mostly for me to get it clear.

Look, you're probably quite right. My problem is that I keep losing the plot trying to follow you and default back to pilot training (4yrs RAAF...I should say AirTC, I didn't go career). So then I get anxious and I try to sound board it off the thread.

honestly sorry, was not my intention to offend, I lose track if I get a little personal sometimes, my apolegies.

No, it's cool. Do you understand my thought process now?

The thing is, obviously RPG game mechanics are going to be freakishly abstract from the point of view of anyone familiar with a real world equivalent. SW is not a simulationist game, and D6 is a highly abstract and simple game mechanic - which is why a lot of people like it, I think.

Now, my house rule is a little more complex. I've made certain assumptions about space travel. I feel that many of these assumptions are derived from the implications of stuff I've read in the EU, but many people read the EU differently, or don't take the EU as authoritative. That's fine; whatever floats their boats. I'm just a hobbyist playing around with .php.

I don't think the complexity of my house rule is particularly prohibitive of using it, because my engine allows the computational complexity to be outsourced to the computer. Since my games take place online, any player using it to make their astrogation rolls will simply fill in the boxes, take note of the odds (change the boxes if she feels the odds or the travel time are too high), and click the button that rolls the dice.

I'm still considering how I want to play it out - either have the outcome of the dice rolls emailed to just the GM, or have the engine come up with a result that the player can know immediately. Perhaps I'll allow for options to do either.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> House Rules All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5
Page 5 of 5

Jump to: