The Rancor Pit Forum Index
Welcome to The Rancor Pit forums!

The Rancor Pit Forum Index
FAQ   ::   Search   ::   Memberlist   ::   Usergroups   ::   Register   ::   Profile   ::   Log in to check your private messages   ::   Log in

Fallon Kell's Starship Construction System
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> Tools -> Fallon Kell's Starship Construction System
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Fallon Kell
Commodore
Commodore

PostPosted: Sat Oct 01, 2011 2:19 am    Post subject: Fallon Kell's Starship Construction System Reply with quote

Here is, for lack of a better term, the beta version of my Starship Construction System, based off of Grimace and Krapou's work, and initially inspired by WOTC's Starships of the Galaxy. Feel free to build some ships with it so we can figure out what changes need to be made. I know I'll have to redo the pricing structure, since I've removed some elements that would normally draw more points.

Much of the system is copied directly from Krapou's system, (with permission). If anything is unclear about how to use the parts I've modified, feel free to ask questions and make suggestions on better wording.

At some point, I hope to be able to adapt atgxtg's starship weapon generator to fit this system too. It's very well done, and only needs a way to determine emplacement point cost for finished weapons.

Let me know what you think, what needs to be changed, what you like, and anything else that comes to mind.
Quote:

Generating / Pricing a ship
Step 1: Choose a general size of the vessel. The Ship Size chart will give you information about the average ship
weight, its class (Starfighter or Capital), its size category (from 1 to 9), its base Hull value (this is the absolute
minimum hull that a ship of this size would have - more hull dice can be added later) and the basis number of
Construction Points (CPs) required for a ship of this length.
Keep a running total on the number of CPs and crew members for the type of ship. Some crew requirements are set values, while some are percentage increases. Keep separate tallies.

Step 2: After the number of people is determined to operate the ship, look at the Life Support table. Choose a
number of passengers that the ship can support. The cost of life support for the crew is integrated into the rest of the system. Note that certain ship types (sizes) cannot have excessive life support systems, so make sure that the life support requirements for your ship fall within the restrictions.
Add the CPs and Crew requirements for the life support to your running totals.

Step 3: Nearly every ship has some sort of storage aboard it. Some ships also have hangar space. At this time, you need to determine if your ship will have storage, hangars, or both.
If the ship has Storage, compare the size of your ship with the restrictions. Pick the amount of cargo that your ship can carry. Add the CPs for the cargo to your running total.
If you want your ship to have the ability to carry smaller vessels, choose a Hangar size, as well as the number of vessels it can carry. Reference the notes under the hangars to see the quality of the hangars. Add the CPs and crew requirements for the hangars to your running totals.

Step 4: At this time, you must determine the general “range” of your ship. Determining the amount of Consumables aboard your vessel does this. Consumables are the amount of food, air, water, and whatever else is used and needs to be replenished. It is assumed that the amount of duration will cover the full amount of crew and passengers aboard your ship. Note that small ships have restrictions on the duration that they can operate.
Add the CPs and crew requirements for the consumables to your running totals.

Step 5: Now you must determine whether your ship is capable of achieving faster than light speed. If you want it to,
you must look at the Hyperspace Travel chart. If you want backup hyperdrives, the cost is identical to standard
hyperdrives. The larger the ship you have, the more CPs it will require to get the high quality drives. Therefore, if
you have a Capital scale ship, multiply the CP cost of the hyperdrives you want by 2.
Add the CPs for hyperdrives to your running total.

Step 6: Determine the maximum sublight speed your want your vessel to travel and refer to the Sublight Engines
chart. Multiply the CP cost by 2 for Capital ships.
Add the number of CPs for your vessels speed to your running total.

Step 7: Your ships ability to maneuver is based on its maximum sublight speed. Typically, the faster the ship goes,
the smaller it is, and the more maneuverable it can be. Depending on the speed of your ship, you can choose any
Maneuverability up to the amount defined by your speed. Multiply the CP cost of the Maneuvering Systems by 2 for
Capital ships.
Add the CPs for the maneuver systems to your running total.

Step 8: Now you must determine the structure of your ship. This will give you a final Hull Dice number for your
ship. Go to the Structure chart and consult the size restriction for the ship you are constructing. Determine what
level of hull dice you want your ship to have, not forgetting that you have a “base hull” for the type of ship you’re
building. Add the “base hull” to the amount of hull dice that you choose from the structure chart. Note the scales
for the ship that you are constructing.
Add the CPs for the structure to your running total.
Total the chosen structure and the base hull together to get your final Hull Dice for the vessel.

Step 9: Next would be to determine if your ship is going to have shields. Note the restrictions on the sizes of ships
required to mount certain powers of shielding. Backup Shield cost half the listed price.
Add the CPs for the shielding to your running total.

Step 10: In order to best determine the number of weapons that a ship is capable of mounting, you must now go to
the Weapon Mounts chart. The number of “emplacements” will show a rough estimate of how many weapons the
ship can mount. Obviously, the larger the weapon, the more space and energy it will take up. Once the number of
emplacements has been determined, following the restrictions of the size of your ship (you can mount more
weapons on a ship on Size smaller than the restriction, but at double CP cost) you can purchase weapons.
Note that Starfighter scale weapons mounted on Capital ships count a fifth of their number of emplacements.
Capital scale weapons mounted on Starfighter scale ships count five times their number of emplacements.
Add the CPs for the weapon mounts to your running total.
Add the cost of the weapons to the price of the ship.

Step 11: Add up the crew totals and percentages, then add the percentage increase to the base crew requirement value. This is your initial crew requirement. Look at the automation table to determine the final percentage modifier you wish to apply to your ship. Multiply the initial crew requirement by the final modifier. This is your final crew requirement. Add the CPs cost of automation to your running total.

Step 12: The total CPs you now have is the final amount. Compare the total with the Pricing chart to see the cost
for producing your ship. Find the number that is closest to your CP total without going over. So if you have 37 CPs
for your ship, look at the 30’s to determine part of the amount. That would equal 55,000. There are still 7 CPs to go,
however, so for each one, look at the +1 following the 30s. Each CP is worth 1500. Therefore, 7 CPs would equal
10,500. Add that to the 55,000. The total of the ship, without counting the cost of the weapons and sensors, is
65,500 credits.

Now add the cost of the weapons or any other purchased systems to determine the final cost of your ship.
So if you spent 14,000 on weapons, 4,500 on sensors and another 6,000 on special modifications (hidden cargo
holds, long range communicator, etc.), that would add 24,500 to the 65,500 resulting in a grand total of 90,000 in
order to produce the ship.

Step 13: Name the ship and fill in the “chrome” for it, including whatever you feel is important; where it was made,
who flies it, where it’s been, or any other little things of note for it.
Your ship is now complete!

Complete Starship Construction System
Bren
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

PostPosted: Sat Oct 01, 2011 12:53 pm    Post subject: Re: Fallon Kell's Starship Construction System Reply with quote

Fallon Kell wrote:
Here is, for lack of a better term, the beta version of my Starship Construction System, based off of Grimace and Krapou's work...
thanks. Would it be possible to have a summary of what is different about your system?
Fallon Kell
Commodore
Commodore

PostPosted: Sat Oct 01, 2011 7:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sure. My system bases the crew requirements of a vessel off of it's systems and capabilities, rather than its size. So a bulk freighter might need no more than 10 or 20 crew members, (like in real life), while a fighting ship of similar size may require 300-500 crew members. In my system, high tech systems like shields, weapons, and engines take more people to operate than low tech systems like hull rating and cargo space.

Bren
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

PostPosted: Tue Oct 04, 2011 11:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Fallon Kell wrote:
Sure. My system bases the crew requirements of a vessel off of it's systems and capabilities, rather than its size.
Cool. 8) I like the idea of that change.
Krapou
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

PostPosted: Wed Oct 05, 2011 4:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I also like the idea ! Nicely done ! 8)

As I might use your system for my games, I'd also like to know if you 'rebuilt' existing starship design to check if the final prices matched 'canon' values ?
Fallon Kell
Commodore
Commodore

PostPosted: Wed Oct 05, 2011 7:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Krapou wrote:
I'd also like to know if you 'rebuilt' existing starship design to check if the final prices matched 'canon' values ?
I'm in the process of testing that right now. Most of the prices are coming out about 15% low, with a few coming out perfect and a few way off the mark. I think I may raise the price scale by about 10% and just mention that the pricing is only accurate to +/- 10%... It depends on the outcome of the testing.

I'm glad you like it! Very Happy

atgxtg
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

PostPosted: Thu Oct 06, 2011 11:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If they are coming out close, or conbsistently low you might not have to change much. In D20 there was a rule that ships (like most big ticket items) tended to have cost overruns and there was a random die roll to see how much over cost a given design ran. For instance 4D6+1 percent would do the trick nicely.

Now some ships, like TIEs got a price break for being produced in massive quantity.

So, if your numbers are close, you could simply apply some randomizers to the prices and get the "D6 canon" prices.
Fallon Kell
Commodore
Commodore

PostPosted: Thu Oct 06, 2011 3:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

atgxtg wrote:
If they are coming out close, or conbsistently low you might not have to change much. In D20 there was a rule that ships (like most big ticket items) tended to have cost overruns and there was a random die roll to see how much over cost a given design ran. For instance 4D6+1 percent would do the trick nicely.

Now some ships, like TIEs got a price break for being produced in massive quantity.

So, if your numbers are close, you could simply apply some randomizers to the prices and get the "D6 canon" prices.
That's true, but I want to get it as close as I reasonably can, and let GMs handle all that other stuff if they chose.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> Tools All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: