The Rancor Pit Forum Index
Welcome to The Rancor Pit forums!

The Rancor Pit Forum Index
FAQ   ::   Search   ::   Memberlist   ::   Usergroups   ::   Register   ::   Profile   ::   Log in to check your private messages   ::   Log in

Completely removed lightsaber combat
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> House Rules -> Completely removed lightsaber combat Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Esoomian
High Admiral
High Admiral

PostPosted: Sat Oct 01, 2011 2:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

MA-3PO wrote:
I agree there is no weight but there has to be something physical there besides heat. Otherwise objects that don't instantly vaporize would "stop" the projection of the blade. You also wouldn't have blaster bolts or other lightsaber blades bouncing away from each other.

Again I'm not sure I agree, if a lightsaber has no mass then I can swipe it through anything without it stopping because there is no mass to interact with. It's like me sweeping the beam of a torch over a wall, the light from the torch does not noticibly cause resistance so the torch itself is not deflected/diverted as I sweep it.

To me this makes more sense as a blade with some mass at all would inteact with physical objects no matter how fast/strongly you swing it and I've never seen a lightsaber even slow down when it came in contact with something not lightsaber resistant.

As for the blaster bolt thing I believe the official Lucas explanation is that the lightsaber blade and the blaster bolt are very similar in nature so they repel each other like a superconductor is repelled by a magnetic field.

Simply stand closer to the object you wish to view.
Naaman
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

PostPosted: Sat Oct 01, 2011 2:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Are we forgetting that this is Star Wars, not real life? The lightsaber and the Force are mystical, fictional, and VERY cool concepts. The lightsaber cuts through what the Jedi wants to, and not what he doesn't. Hence, damage (5D) plus or minus (Jedi's choice) control.
Fallon Kell
Commodore
Commodore

PostPosted: Sat Oct 01, 2011 7:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Naaman wrote:
Are we forgetting that this is Star Wars, not real life? The lightsaber and the Force are mystical, fictional, and VERY cool concepts. The lightsaber cuts through what the Jedi wants to, and not what he doesn't. Hence, damage (5D) plus or minus (Jedi's choice) control.
I'd say though, that the reason the lightsaber cuts through what the Jedi wants it to, is because it's very good at cutting. I'd also guess the reason it doesn't cut through what the Jedi doesn't want cut, is that the Jedi doesn't swing it at what he doesn't want to cut.

Just my assumption...

Complete Starship Construction System
Azai
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

PostPosted: Sat Oct 01, 2011 9:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've always looked at the, doesn't cut what the Jedi doesn't want to cut, as something WEG made with the control minus or plus.

As far as the movies are concerned it seems the lightsaber just cuts through something when it touches it whether the Jedi wants it to or not.
Naaman
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

PostPosted: Sat Oct 01, 2011 9:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Fallon Kell wrote:
I'd say though, that the reason the lightsaber cuts through what the Jedi wants it to, is because it's very good at cutting. I'd also guess the reason it doesn't cut through what the Jedi doesn't want cut, is that the Jedi doesn't swing it at what he doesn't want to cut.

Just my assumption...

Azai wrote:
I've always looked at the, doesn't cut what the Jedi doesn't want to cut, as something WEG made with the control minus or plus.

As far as the movies are concerned it seems the lightsaber just cuts through something when it touches it whether the Jedi wants it to or not.

Dooku vs. Obi-Wan?

Anakin (protecting Padme) vs. Centipede thingies?
Fallon Kell
Commodore
Commodore

PostPosted: Sat Oct 01, 2011 11:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Naaman wrote:
Fallon Kell wrote:

Just my assumption...

Azai wrote:

Dooku vs. Obi-Wan?

Anakin (protecting Padme) vs. Centipede thingies?

I don't know what you're referring to in the Dooku vs. Obi Wan fight, but I could have saved Padme with a chainsaw the same way as Anakin saved her with a lightsaber (just not as quickly) with no harm done.

Naaman
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

PostPosted: Sun Oct 02, 2011 1:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dooku hit Obi Wan in the arm and the leg without severing anything. And "just not as quickly" is exactly the point.
Fallon Kell
Commodore
Commodore

PostPosted: Sun Oct 02, 2011 1:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Naaman wrote:
Dooku hit Obi Wan in the arm and the leg without severing anything. And "just not as quickly" is exactly the point.
I haven't studied chainsaw fencing for nearly as long as Anakin studied lightsaber combat. That, combined with the facts that I have no supernatural ability to increase my speed of motion and the relative differences in weight of a 3 foot chainsaw and a lightsaber, account for my slowness. I could, however hit a guy in the leg without severing it even with a weapon that cut effortlessly. All you have to do is not swing it all the way into the flesh.

Naaman
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

PostPosted: Sun Oct 02, 2011 2:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You win.
Fallon Kell
Commodore
Commodore

PostPosted: Sun Oct 02, 2011 3:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Naaman wrote:
You win.
Well I wasn't threatening to hit you in the leg with a chainsaw! Laughing

Naaman
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

PostPosted: Sun Oct 02, 2011 4:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

LOL Laughing
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> House Rules All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4
Page 4 of 4

Jump to: