The Rancor Pit Forum Index
Welcome to The Rancor Pit forums!

The Rancor Pit Forum Index
FAQ   ::   Search   ::   Memberlist   ::   Usergroups   ::   Register   ::   Profile   ::   Log in to check your private messages   ::   Log in

What is the most useful new skill you've come up with?
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> House Rules -> What is the most useful new skill you've come up with? Goto page Previous  1, 2
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Volar the Healer
Jedi

PostPosted: Thu Aug 14, 2003 3:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cool. Makes sense. Adding role playing elements - not just game mechanics - allows the director to prevent it from being abused.
saintbryan

PostPosted: Thu Nov 06, 2003 9:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

the most useful skill I've made is Reaction Time. A Perception skill. It's used for figuring out initiative.
I also use it as an opposed roll to decide whether or not a character is fast enough to dodge. In my games, In order to dodge, you must first declare it, then roll an opposed Reaction Time with the enemy shooting at you.
Crell Damar
Line Captain
Line Captain

PostPosted: Fri Nov 07, 2003 1:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

saintbryan wrote:
the most useful skill I've made is Reaction Time. A Perception skill. It's used for figuring out initiative.
I also use it as an opposed roll to decide whether or not a character is fast enough to dodge. In my games, In order to dodge, you must first declare it, then roll an opposed Reaction Time with the enemy shooting at you.

I disagree with that skill, simply because combat can get drawn out a long time on it's own, you're sticking in yet another roll that people will have to roll to make a reaction skill. having to declare a reaction skill defeats the purpose of the reaction skill, it's there so that even if you didn't expect your opponent to be standing after that shot to the head, or whatever, you can still avoid his shot, when he shoots back.

Now on the other hand, using it for initiative is kinda cool, for characters that might have crappy perception, but still are battle hardened, and quick in a fight, that makes sense...

Obi-Wan Kenobi
Ray
Commodore
Commodore

Location: Winnipeg, Manitoba, Canada, North America, Western Hemisphere, Earth, Sol, Western Arm, Milky Way

PostPosted: Fri Nov 07, 2003 2:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Willpower: Control Giddyness. For the days that I'm extra weird.

"Ray... You're making no sense, and that would just plain be stupid. Roll Control Giddyness."

My character even got a bonus with the medications he was on. Laughing
Crell Damar
Line Captain
Line Captain

PostPosted: Fri Nov 07, 2003 3:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

that doesn't seem that useful, unless you play a squib...

Obi-Wan Kenobi
Ray
Commodore
Commodore

Location: Winnipeg, Manitoba, Canada, North America, Western Hemisphere, Earth, Sol, Western Arm, Milky Way

PostPosted: Fri Nov 07, 2003 3:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Áctually, it wasn't that useful, In order to succeed with it, I had to roll a Very Easy... 5.

I made...

Ummm...

I'm sure I made it at least once... Hmmmmmmmmmm...

Nope, never did make it... Did I? Nope, didn't.
garhkal
Sovereign Protector
Sovereign Protector

PostPosted: Mon Jul 18, 2005 9:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here are the ones i have developed..

TECHNICIAL:

Beast training; With this skill a trainer can reduce a creatures Orneriness code, by breaking it in. This takes 6 Months and requires 4 moderate Beast training rolls to do. Alternately it can allow a trainer to teach specific tricks to a creature. The teaching of tricks requires a difficult roll and 2 months per trick to be taught.
Specialties;- Specific animals, tricks

Bow repair; Similar to armor repair and blaster repair, this skill allows the character to fix and maintain bows, crossbows and arrows. Also it can be used to construct new bows, and arrows. For bows the roll is Moderate and requires 3D days to make. If arrows are being made, the roll is easy and 1D number of arrows can be made per day. Specialties;- arrow making, crossbows, long bows, bow maintenance.

Melee weapon repair; Similar to above and blaster repair. Can be used to construct CRUDE melee weapons in 1D hours.
No specialties.

KNOWLEDGE

Gladiatorial arena lore; With this skill the character can learn many pieces of information about a gladiator arena. Things that can be learned, for eg is Location, types of events, current and former champions, special events ran, who controls, specific gladiator teams etc.
Specialties;- specific arena.

Instruction; With this skill a teacher can lessen the time it takes to instruct a person in a new skill, specialty or advanced skill. It can also be used to give a temporary increase to a teacher’s skill for instruction.
System: Instructor must have a minimum of 5d in the skill to be taught (which replaces the need to have 2d above the students).
Making an easy roll takes 15% off the time
Moderate roll takes 20% off the time and saves the student 1CP
Difficult roll takes 25% off the time and saves 2CP
V.difficult roll takes 30% off the time and saves 3CP
Heroic roll takes 35% off the time (the max which can be saved) and saves the student 4CP.
No Specialties.

Anatomy: This is an advanced skill. With this advance skill, a character can discern specific weak points on a target. You get to try for a specific bonus, whether in additional damage OR a specific effect.
System: Requires an alien species skill of 4d+1 and a first aid of 4d+1 befor eit can be used on anyone OTHER than a human (or near humans).
Easy roll = +2 pips to the damage, cannot call a specific effect.
Moderate roll = +1d to the damage, can call for a minor efect (eg calling a shot to hit the oppents wrist to cause him to loose use of the hand)
Difficult roll = +1d+1 to the damage, can call for a moderate effect (like calling a shot to break a person's knee, elbow etc. to hobble him)
V.Diff roll = +1d+2 to the damage, can call for a major effect. (like shooting a person in the side to take out his hip joint, halfing his movement, or shooting him in the ear causing loss of his bodies equiblerium)
Heroic roll = +2d to the damage. Can practically call for any effect desired.
Specialties:- Specific race.

PERCEPTION;

Camouflage; Unlike sneak, which deals with the hiding of the character while moving, and Hide which deals with masking objects, camouflage deals with the masking of a character while stationary. Otherwise as sneak.
Specialties;- specific terrain.

Tactical awareness; This is treated as an advance skill, in that it costs 20CP to initially learn, and double CP to increase, but has no prerequisite skills. Once learnt, it can be used to roll for the player’s initiative instead of perception. There are 3 subsets of this, which must be learnt separately. Space tactical awareness, atmospheric tactical awareness and ground tactical awareness. Where each is used is self- explanatory.
Specialties, NONE.
Volar the Healer
Jedi

PostPosted: Thu Jul 21, 2005 2:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cool!
I also came up with Instruction, also under KNO.
But I looked at it a little differently; I figured a character can teach a skill he knows to another character (at 1/2 cost) up to his skill level or level of instruction - whichever is less.
Kehlin Yew
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

PostPosted: Thu Jul 21, 2005 5:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Zero-G is a great idea, until you have armor with grav boots. Very Happy

Our most useful skill, and funniest was: Spot Fake ID

had a bartender droid with 8D Spot fake ID
Naaman
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

PostPosted: Tue Sep 27, 2011 9:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Crell Damar wrote:
but at the same time, if a character doesn't start with the martial arts specialization then they've got to start from square one raising it up having it possibly lower than their brawling. But, when you think about it, how many Advanced skills have you seen that aren't Technical skills, i have yet to see one that's not made by the game master

The advanced skill (A) Brainwashing was in the imperial source book (I think... it was one of the bad guy source books). It had a prerequisite of 4D (not 5D) in Intimidation.
Fallon Kell
Commodore
Commodore

PostPosted: Tue Sep 27, 2011 9:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Naaman wrote:

The advanced skill (A) Brainwashing was in the imperial source book (I think... it was one of the bad guy source books). It had a prerequisite of 4D (not 5D) in Intimidation.
*nabs skill, filing it away for frequent future use*

Nothing to see here, folks...

Complete Starship Construction System
garhkal
Sovereign Protector
Sovereign Protector

PostPosted: Wed Sep 28, 2011 4:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kehlin Yew wrote:
Zero-G is a great idea, until you have armor with grav boots. Very Happy

Our most useful skill, and funniest was: Spot Fake ID

had a bartender droid with 8D Spot fake ID

That comes under forgery.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> House Rules All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: