The Rancor Pit Forum Index
Welcome to The Rancor Pit forums!

The Rancor Pit Forum Index
FAQ   ::   Search   ::   Memberlist   ::   Usergroups   ::   Register   ::   Profile   ::   Log in to check your private messages   ::   Log in

Project Black Swans
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> Ships, Vehicles, Equipment, and Tech -> Project Black Swans Goto page Previous  1, 2
View previous topic :: View next topic  
garhkal
Sovereign Protector
Sovereign Protector

PostPosted: Mon Mar 07, 2011 7:56 pm    Post subject: Re: Project Black Swans Reply with quote

[quote="AnakinThe hyperspace thing sounds reasonable, but in this case I suppose the techs would install stronger hyperdrives to compensate, in order to keep the crafts long range, and thus the multiplier would be the same..[/quote]

I have always understood it for Xwings, that their hyperdrive/power generators have a 'switch of sorts'.. Sfoils out, the hyperdrive is "Switched out" so power runs up the wings to the lasers. Closed, power is switched To the hyperdrive..

Quote:
Quote:
Analog fire control: A camera films all that is in front of the x-wing, and a computer (okay, half analog) with motion sensor analyzes the film and mark everything moving in it, and the markings show up on a heads up display. In this way, no signals leave the x-wing. Since everything moving, including asteroids and friendly ships, the fire control is not very accurate.

Might be simpler to just call it Passive Fire Control, as the main distinction seems to be that the ship is not using its active sensors for Fire Control.

And it would never be as good as active fire control.
CRMcNeill
Director of Engineering
Director of Engineering

Location: Redding System, California Sector, on the I-5 Hyperspace Route.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 07, 2011 8:53 pm    Post subject: Re: Project Black Swans Reply with quote

Anakin wrote:
The open wings are for the cannons increased area of effect. The enlarged engines also takes up lots of space and part of that space is taken from the area between the foils.

As far as the increased engines, I would point to the stats for the T-65AC4 X-Wing stats, as posted in WEG's Jedi Academy sourcebook. This advanced X-Wing fighter has a Space of 12, 50% faster than the base X-Wing stats, yet is still able to use its S-Foils. In modern aerospace design, engine upgrades are generally designed to fit the same space requirements as the engine they are replacing, while still providing improved functioning.

I'm not pointing this out to try and undermine your design; if you think it is important for this ship's S-Foils to be locked in one position, then more power to you, but IMO, you need something with a more solid back story.

Quote:
What are the price setting for sensor bafflers? What would it cost to equip an x-wing with it?

The official write-up is on page 37 of Pirates & Privateers, and the stats can be found on page 128 of the Equipment Stats compilation netbook.

The posted price is 20,000 credits per SF-Scale Hull dice (or 50,000 for CS-Scale). It's a chemical coating applied to the exterior of the ship. A single coat provides 1D of sensor protection, and a double coat adds 2D, but that is as high as it goes. There are also notes as to how the shape of a ship affects the effectiveness, but the write-up in Pirates and Privateers specifically states that a Sensor Baffled ship in a legitimate port would automatically attract official notice, so any sensor baffled ship has to restrict itself to shadow ports. My thinking was that Black Chrome might be a less effective form of sensor absorbent coating that doesn't attract official attention (or at least not as much).

The CRMcNeill Stat/Rule Index
Anakin
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

PostPosted: Tue Mar 08, 2011 2:36 am    Post subject: Re: Project Black Swans Reply with quote

garhkal wrote:
[quote="AnakinThe hyperspace thing sounds reasonable, but in this case I suppose the techs would install stronger hyperdrives to compensate, in order to keep the crafts long range, and thus the multiplier would be the same..

I have always understood it for Xwings, that their hyperdrive/power generators have a 'switch of sorts'.. Sfoils out, the hyperdrive is "Switched out" so power runs up the wings to the lasers. Closed, power is switched To the hyperdrive..

Quote:
Quote:
Analog fire control: A camera films all that is in front of the x-wing, and a computer (okay, half analog) with motion sensor analyzes the film and mark everything moving in it, and the markings show up on a heads up display. In this way, no signals leave the x-wing. Since everything moving, including asteroids and friendly ships, the fire control is not very accurate.

Might be simpler to just call it Passive Fire Control, as the main distinction seems to be that the ship is not using its active sensors for Fire Control.

And it would never be as good as active fire control.[/quote]

Correct. The Fire Control is reduced to 1D for the lasers, and 1D+1 for the torpedoes.

But that power switching must be easily modified to work without the repositioning of the S-foils.
Anakin
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

PostPosted: Tue Mar 08, 2011 2:44 am    Post subject: Re: Project Black Swans Reply with quote

crmcneill wrote:
Anakin wrote:
The open wings are for the cannons increased area of effect. The enlarged engines also takes up lots of space and part of that space is taken from the area between the foils.

As far as the increased engines, I would point to the stats for the T-65AC4 X-Wing stats, as posted in WEG's Jedi Academy sourcebook. This advanced X-Wing fighter has a Space of 12, 50% faster than the base X-Wing stats, yet is still able to use its S-Foils. In modern aerospace design, engine upgrades are generally designed to fit the same space requirements as the engine they are replacing, while still providing improved functioning.

I'm not pointing this out to try and undermine your design; if you think it is important for this ship's S-Foils to be locked in one position, then more power to you, but IMO, you need something with a more solid back story.

Quote:
What are the price setting for sensor bafflers? What would it cost to equip an x-wing with it?

The official write-up is on page 37 of Pirates & Privateers, and the stats can be found on page 128 of the Equipment Stats compilation netbook.

The posted price is 20,000 credits per SF-Scale Hull dice (or 50,000 for CS-Scale). It's a chemical coating applied to the exterior of the ship. A single coat provides 1D of sensor protection, and a double coat adds 2D, but that is as high as it goes. There are also notes as to how the shape of a ship affects the effectiveness, but the write-up in Pirates and Privateers specifically states that a Sensor Baffled ship in a legitimate port would automatically attract official notice, so any sensor baffled ship has to restrict itself to shadow ports. My thinking was that Black Chrome might be a less effective form of sensor absorbent coating that doesn't attract official attention (or at least not as much).

Oh, it's ok. I put the design up here to have it questioned Very Happy
The engines increased size is mainly because of the shielding materials, the cooling system and the ITD. And the removal of the wing repositioning system is also a way to minimize electronics that might produce emissions.

The sensor baffler seems to work on any distance. The black chrome works on 50 units distance, and has a protection code of 1D+2. I think it is provocative enough though, but the sensor baffler would probably result in more severe penalties...
CRMcNeill
Director of Engineering
Director of Engineering

Location: Redding System, California Sector, on the I-5 Hyperspace Route.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 28, 2011 2:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

garhkal wrote:
Interesting... How many exist?

I missed this back when you originally asked. I'm thinking a short squadron; less than 12, but more than 6. They would never operate as a squadron, and are assigned individually to high-priority missions at the behest of Allliance Intel.

The CRMcNeill Stat/Rule Index
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> Ships, Vehicles, Equipment, and Tech All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: