The Rancor Pit Forum Index
Welcome to The Rancor Pit forums!

The Rancor Pit Forum Index
FAQ   ::   Search   ::   Memberlist   ::   Usergroups   ::   Register   ::   Profile   ::   Log in to check your private messages   ::   Log in

Firearms stats
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> Ships, Vehicles, Equipment, and Tech -> Firearms stats Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5
View previous topic :: View next topic  
CRMcNeill
Director of Engineering
Director of Engineering

Location: Redding System, California Sector, on the I-5 Hyperspace Route.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 13, 2011 12:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bren wrote:
crmcneill wrote:
David Drake is one of my favorite military Sci-Fi authors, and a lot of the tech he features makes for some interesting conversion ideas...
Powerguns are also pretty cool and they look/act a bit more like a sci-fi ray gun or blaster. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hammerverse

I agree. It may not be in keeping with the canon, but whenever I picture a blaster weapon, I picture something along the lines of the powergun, with the distinction being that, rather than using a solid held in alignment by a plastic disk, a blaster uses a magnetic field to hold blaster gas in position for the energy discharge.

The CRMcNeill Stat/Rule Index
ZzaphodD
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

PostPosted: Wed Apr 13, 2011 3:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

crmcneill wrote:
ZzaphodD wrote:
Id say that gun would have one hell of a recoil!!

Coil guns or stingers? The only coil gun seen in use was turret mounted on an APC, and going strictly off memory, I don't recall whether stingers had much of a kick (although some other weapons in the story kicked like a mule on steroids).

Stingers I mean, the others were vehicle mounted right? I wasnt thinking the books, but physics.
CRMcNeill
Director of Engineering
Director of Engineering

PostPosted: Wed Apr 13, 2011 3:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ZzaphodD wrote:
Stingers I mean, the others were vehicle mounted right? I wasnt thinking the books, but physics.

Well, the book never gives a detailed description of the gun apart from the firing mechanism, but I would be willing to guess that, based on the way it is used, any recoil is definitely suppressed, either in whole or in part. It is a rapid fire weapon, and massive recoil would probably knock the weapon out of the gunner's hands on the first shot. Ere go, while the specifics of any recoil are not described in the book, recoil is either minimized or lessened.

Bren
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

PostPosted: Wed Apr 13, 2011 5:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ZzaphodD wrote:
Assuming a muzzle velocity of 10,000 feet/sec, then if my calculations are correct, and they usually are Wink , a the Stinger would have a muzzle energy about 10% above an AK-47 and 20% below a US M1 Garand rifle.

I'd be surprised if David Drake (the author) hadn't done the calculations to ensure that firing the fictional weapon was reasonable.

IIR the advantage to the Stinger was that it almost instantaneously transfered nearly all of the energy to the target.
ZzaphodD
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

PostPosted: Wed Apr 13, 2011 5:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bren wrote:
ZzaphodD wrote:
Assuming a muzzle velocity of 10,000 feet/sec, then if my calculations are correct, and they usually are Wink , a the Stinger would have a muzzle energy about 10% above an AK-47 and 20% below a US M1 Garand rifle.

I'd be surprised if David Drake (the author) hadn't done the calculations to ensure that firing the fictional weapon was reasonable.

IIR the advantage to the Stinger was that it almost instantaneously transfered nearly all of the energy to the target.

Is that for one shot, or for an entire 10 round burst? Well, that amount of recoil in a pistol (wasnt it a sidarm, no?) should qualify as one hell of a recoil I guess..
CRMcNeill
Director of Engineering
Director of Engineering

PostPosted: Wed Apr 13, 2011 5:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ZzaphodD wrote:
Is that for one shot, or for an entire 10 round burst? Well, that amount of recoil in a pistol (wasnt it a sidarm, no?) should qualify as one hell of a recoil I guess..

Mixed up my terminology; it is actually a rifle-equivalent weapon. The 10-round burst was an arbitrary number that I included when making my stat. In the novel, stingers could fire single shots or fully automatic. They may also have had an intermediate burst setting, but I don't recall that ever being specified.

garhkal
Sovereign Protector
Sovereign Protector

PostPosted: Wed Apr 13, 2011 5:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

jmanski wrote:
Yeah, but more often you get the guy with a revolver shooting a dozen or more times without reloading (see Raiders of the Lost Ark), or someone with a SMG or assault rifle blasting away all day long on full auto with a 20 or 30 round box magazine.

Reloading in movies is not realistic at all.

Agreed. It also seems like the more modern the movie (well in terms of WHEN made) the more likely they DID put in reloading.. such as compare blackhawk down (where they reload a lot of times, and even ran out in some combats) to commando.. where the likelyhood of him reloading was as likely as a bullet from any of those goons hitting him!
Bren
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

PostPosted: Wed Apr 13, 2011 6:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ZzaphodD wrote:
For a single shot.
The Stinger was an assault rifle equivalent: high ROF, ability to port a lot of ammo, effective at typical engagement ranges, but after 300 meters air resistance scrubs much of the kinetic effect by slowing the velocity.
Anakin
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

PostPosted: Thu Apr 14, 2011 4:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Henrik.Balslev wrote:
one of my favorite weapons of Sci-fi has always been the Gauss/Rail rifle - it fires a bullet at supersonic speeds using magnetic coils to propel the bullet - the only gamesystem in ever saw it in was GURPS Ultratech, which btw is a great source of inspiration for weapons.

How about these?:

Model: Quirrian Gauss Carbine Model 5.
Caliber: 1.214mm
Skill: Fire arms: Gauss guns
Range: 1-55/130/300
Damage: 3D+2
Fire rate: 2/1D+1 & 1D
Recoil: 0. +2 if target has scaled armor
Ammo: 75 projectiles. Magazine has built in battery
Counter: Yes
Cost: 2400. Ammo: 35/mag.
Availability: 3 X

Note: Due to the projectiles small size and huge velocity, scaled armor do –1D protection. Other armor do –2D protection.

Model: Quirrian Rail Gun Model 8C.
Caliber: 30mm
Skill: Fire arms: Rail guns
Requirements: Strength: 4D. 1D+2 when tripod mounted
Range: 10-50/100/160
Damage: 6D
Fire rate: 1/3. ˝ when using fusion generator, which requires that the rail gun is tripod mounted. +1 when cooling unit is attached.
Recoil: +3D
Body: 3D
Ammo: 9 projectiles (50 when using external mag, which requires that the rail gun is tripod mounted). Battery has power for 27 rounds (unlimited when using fusion generator, which requires that the rail gun is tripod mounted)
Reload: ˝ projectiles
Counter: Yes
Cost: 3200. Ammo: Projectiles: 2. Battery: 40. Cooling unit: 400.
Availability: 3 X

Note: The magazine is placed lying above the barrel. When loading the weapon, user feeds the projectiles into the mag, one by one. The described stats are for common metal spheres. There are a few other types of ammo available:
“Bullets” are shaped like common gun bullets. Their recoil is 2D+2 and their range is 10-55/110/180. Cost: 4.
Explosive spheres; do 8D/4D/2D damage. Blast radius: 0.5/1/2. Armor do +1D protection. Scaled armor do +3D. Recoil: 4D. Cost: 45.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> Ships, Vehicles, Equipment, and Tech All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5
Page 5 of 5

Jump to: