The Rancor Pit Forum Index
Welcome to The Rancor Pit forums!

The Rancor Pit Forum Index
FAQ   ::   Search   ::   Memberlist   ::   Usergroups   ::   Register   ::   Profile   ::   Log in to check your private messages   ::   Log in

Double lightsabers?
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> House Rules -> Double lightsabers? Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
View previous topic :: View next topic  
ZzaphodD
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

PostPosted: Sun Sep 26, 2010 10:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

cheshire wrote:
But then you have the question as to why you would have to use the Force to wield two vibroblades.

BTW, we did some trials of two single-handed swords vs. a two-handed sword the other night. It got very messy. I can give you details if you'd like.

I didnt mean that it had to be tied to the force, just that 'special abilities' existed. The discussion has mostly centered around lightsabers, but isnt limited to force users (even if they might have some cooler stunts availible).

Some maneuvers might also have a prerequisite, for example a specific forcepower like force-jump/KT if its a leaping attack or simply Acrobatics if it involves 'cinematic' flips and such.
Random Numbers
Commander
Commander

PostPosted: Sun Sep 26, 2010 3:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

cheshire wrote:
Tusk BloodFlail wrote:
We use "Dual Wielding" as an advanced skill and it allows your character to perform two attacks with one attack action at no penalty. Thus if you take 2 attack actions you are making 4 attacks with a MAP of -1D to all four attacks.

Yes this is very simplified, but its star wars. The mechanics will not always mirror real life. I have characters that can get shot by tanks or cut the leg off an AT-AT. That's not very realistic either, but that's what makes the game fun Very Happy

Adding two additional actions makes sense, though I'd still have to do the CP cost to see when it would no longer be worth the advancement cost. That's the problem with advanced skills to get additional attacks, there will be a point of diminishing return.

I have no idea what the cp cost is for this method, but 2 attacks per map seems a bit über to me... I would feel a lot more at easy with gaining bonus to defense or such.

Or have it in the dueling blades system or something similar.
cheshire
Arbiter-General (Moderator)

PostPosted: Sun Sep 26, 2010 4:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Random Numbers wrote:

I have no idea what the cp cost is for this method, but 2 attacks per map seems a bit über to me... I would feel a lot more at easy with gaining bonus to defense or such.

Try fighting a guy with two blades when you only have one. It may seem a bit über to you then too. Defenses and offense is pretty crazily increased. (Assuming that the person is well accustomed to fighting with the two blades.)
Random Numbers
Commander
Commander

PostPosted: Sun Sep 26, 2010 4:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

cheshire wrote:
Random Numbers wrote:

Try fighting a guy with two blades when you only have one. It may seem a bit über to you then too. Defenses and offense is pretty crazily increased. (Assuming that the person is well accustomed to fighting with the two blades.)

If you could buy nukes on every street corner in real life I wouldn't allow it in game... To me it's more about playability and having fun.

And the outcome of a real life melee fight would depend a lot on what kind of weapons were involved. We don't care much about that in game do we? Simulating damage is also not very real life as another example.
cheshire

PostPosted: Sun Sep 26, 2010 5:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Touche' Smile
Random Numbers
Commander
Commander

PostPosted: Sun Sep 26, 2010 5:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

cheshire wrote:
Touche' Smile

I have three arms so I could use three arguments without any maps Wink

I'm kind of über that way 8)
cheshire

PostPosted: Sun Sep 26, 2010 8:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh, I think you've got a valid point. If we try too hard for realism, then we need to stop playing D6. I still have reservations about exactly how to implement this mechanic. I think it's been plaguing the system ever since TPM came out, and an easy solution that strikes a good balance between MAPs, CP cost, and bonuses.

I've playtested the advanced skill route. In the end, I realized that I wound up doing my player a disservice since the other Jedi in the campaign could hit more often and defend better than he could simply because he couldn't advance the skill far enough with the double CP cost. Granted, this was over a 1.5-2 year campaign.
garhkal
Sovereign Protector
Sovereign Protector

PostPosted: Sun Sep 26, 2010 11:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

What about making it a seperate skill not advanced, not specialized.. so it advances as normal, BUT has to stay within a set D value of his regular skill.

Ergo, jally the jed has LS at 5d+2, and Double handed LS at 4d+2...
cheshire

PostPosted: Sun Sep 26, 2010 11:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would say that it would be appropriate to have someone be plus or minus 1D or 1D+2 of the parent skill.
Random Numbers
Commander
Commander

PostPosted: Mon Sep 27, 2010 1:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Anyway, I would make both the advantage and the cp cost very low. So not impossible to achieve but not über to use. More of a character flare that is.
Anakin
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

PostPosted: Wed Mar 02, 2011 4:31 am    Post subject: Re: Double lightsabers? Reply with quote

ZzaphodD wrote:
How do you handle NPCs fighting with two lightsabers?

In other systems this might get you an additional attack/parry with some penalties, giving the user a choice of tactics.

With the MAP rules an additional attack is easily achieved with the drawback of one additional MAP, so here the benefit is not that clear. Giving the user a 'free attack' is also easily translated into the extra CPs that raising the lightsaber skill one additional Dice. Then the only difference will be the lack of MAPs for other actions taken (if any) while fighting. ATM I see no other solution, perhaps some bonus (+5) to parry might do the trick but does not seem to fit with the image that two weapon jedis seems like offensive fighters. A penalty to the opponents defence (for one attack or all)?

If the character is ambidextrous this should give him double amount of attacks, but any extra actions involving other body parts should generate multiple-use penalty on both hands.
Perhaps one could simplify it by reducing multiple-use penalty from 1D to +2, for characters hands...
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> House Rules All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
Page 3 of 3

Jump to: