The Rancor Pit Forum Index
Welcome to The Rancor Pit forums!

The Rancor Pit Forum Index
FAQ   ::   Search   ::   Memberlist   ::   Usergroups   ::   Register   ::   Profile   ::   Log in to check your private messages   ::   Log in

Force Potential
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> House Rules -> Force Potential
View previous topic :: View next topic  
MasterKazur
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

PostPosted: Sun Feb 13, 2011 12:25 pm    Post subject: Force Potential Reply with quote

How do you guys handle this aspect of the Star Wars Universe in your games?

I remember from way back when I first played D6 Star Wars (from 1999-2002), I used a system of 5 levels, representing how much the Force is with you (potential).

1 - below average (Zayne Carrick ect.)
2 - average (Obi-Wan Kenobi)
3 - above average (Qui-Gon Jinn, Mace Windu)
4 - high (Yoda, Luke Skywalker, Palpatine)
5 - exceptional (Kyp Durron, Anakin Skywalker)

The way the system works is that, for every full D in a Force Skill (control, sense, alter), the character would get a "discount" on Character Point cost equal to his Force Potential number.

Ex:
Luke Skywalker is a 3D in Control and wants to increase the skill to 3D+1. Obi-Wan Kenobi is dead as this point, and can't teach him, so he'll have to spend 6 Character Points to do so.
However since Luke's potential is a "4" he'll only have to pay 2 Character Points!
When Luke later wants to increase his Control skill to 3D+2 he'll have to pay the full 6 Character Points (since he alreade spent his discount for the D).
When Luke reaches 4D he will recieve a one-time discount of 4 Character Points to that D too.

Does this seem fair to everyone?
Does anyone else use a different system? Would a cap on Force Skills be fair. So for instance only someone with a X number of something would exeed 13D og 12D or something.

What do you guys think?
CRMcNeill
Director of Engineering
Director of Engineering

Location: Redding System, California Sector, on the I-5 Hyperspace Route.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 13, 2011 12:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Looks good to me, although I am biased towards fewer restrictions on the Jedi as written. It's obvious in the canon that everyone's connection to the Force varies (as opposed to the simple Yes/No offered in the RAW), and one of the ways that this is expressed is by a person with a stronger connection being able to learn the use of the Force more quickly than others. This rule is a good representation of that.

I would argue that Luke should be on the 5 level and Kyp should be on 4. Either that or Anakin should be up there alone.

The CRMcNeill Stat/Rule Index
MasterKazur
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

PostPosted: Sun Feb 13, 2011 1:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah, I thought I might get some comments for that one Smile
After reading the K.J. Anderson Trilogy "Jedi Academy" I would argue that Kyp has more potential than Luke Skywalker, given the statements made in that series.

However I will agree that Kyp isn't more powerful than Luke, or at least he hasn't become. Even after NJO.

But I'm glad you liked the system. If you had any suggestions on how to improve it, I'd love to hear them.
CRMcNeill
Director of Engineering
Director of Engineering

PostPosted: Sun Feb 13, 2011 1:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

MasterKazur wrote:
Yeah, I thought I might get some comments for that one Smile
After reading the K.J. Anderson Trilogy "Jedi Academy" I would argue that Kyp has more potential than Luke Skywalker, given the statements made in that series.

Anything written by KJA is automatically suspect. How that man has managed to convince people that he is an author is beyond me, because I have read far better fan fiction than that guy's published novels. Lucas may not care about the SWU, but Frank Herbert is probably doing step aerobics in his grave over Kevin Anderson being allowed anywhere near the Dune series. I bought just one of those books because I thought it might be interesting, and it is the only book in history that I paid full price for and subsequently threw away in absolute revulsion.

Whether you like the canon or not, Anakin was an anomaly in the Force; a singular being, whose kind had never existed before or since. That kind of power isn't something I would expect to find twice in one lifetime in the same galaxy. KJA may say that Kyp is more powerful than Luke, but this is also the guy who said that an Empire that built two Death Stars was nearly bankrupted by building one Executor-Class Super Star Destroyer.

Luke, as Anakin's direct descendant, is a better candidate to be Anakin's equal in potential. At least, that's my $.02.

Quote:
But I'm glad you liked the system. If you had any suggestions on how to improve it, I'd love to hear them.

I had a similar method that I applied as part of a larger concept. My theory was that the current skill purchasing method didn't reflect the fact that persons with higher natural aptitude often find it easier to learn a skill than someone with a "normal" aptitude.

My theory was that, rather than basing the CP cost on the attribute number, it was based on the skill number itself. It would look something like this:

DEXTERITY 4D
Blaster 1D (5D)

Basically you acquired a skill at 1D or 0D, then paid the CP price based on the skill's rating, although you stacked the skill with the attribute to roll the actual skill. There was some discussion on the forum as to leaving the CP cost as is or making the CP cost equal to 2x the skill number. I still haven't decided which version I like more.

Anyways, Force Sensitive in this system would be treated as an Attribute, and selecting Yes would give you a 1D attribute rating at the time of creation, which you could then increase with your attribute dice pool at the time of creation, or increase as any other attribute over the course of the character's life.

I'm also looking into converting the D6 Space Advantage / Disadvantage system over to D6, so that characters could purchase additional Force Sensitive dice by taking Disadvantages. For example, if Anakin were a beginning character in TPM, his abnormally high Force Sensitive Attribute would be explained by his low age and the fact that he was a slave (both major disadvantages on the D6 Space system).

MasterKazur
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

PostPosted: Sun Feb 13, 2011 2:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

crmcneill wrote:

Anything written by KJA is automatically suspect. How that man has managed to convince people that he is an author is beyond me, because I have read far better fan fiction than that guy's published novels. Lucas may not care about the SWU, but Frank Herbert is probably doing step aerobics in his grave over Kevin Anderson being allowed anywhere near the Dune series. I bought just one of those books because I thought it might be interesting, and it is the only book in history that I paid full price for and subsequently threw away in absolute revulsion.

Whether you like the canon or not, Anakin was an anomaly in the Force; a singular being, whose kind had never existed before or since. That kind of power isn't something I would expect to find twice in one lifetime in the same galaxy. KJA may say that Kyp is more powerful than Luke, but this is also the guy who said that an Empire that built two Death Stars was nearly bankrupted by building one Executor-Class Super Star Destroyer.

Luke, as Anakin's direct descendant, is a better candidate to be Anakin's equal in potential. At least, that's my $.02.

I get where you're coming from, and I agree that there are more talented writers than KJA.
However in the Star Wars canon universe Kyp Durron has far greater Force potential than Luke Skywalker and all the other Jedi of that era.

Anakin might be higher than Kyp, though. Maybe Anakin should be like a special case. Maybe his rating should be like a 6 or something? What do you think about that?

I like your skill system and would love to see what you do with the advantages ect.
CRMcNeill
Director of Engineering
Director of Engineering

PostPosted: Sun Feb 13, 2011 3:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

MasterKazur wrote:
Anakin might be higher than Kyp, though. Maybe Anakin should be like a special case. Maybe his rating should be like a 6 or something? What do you think about that?

That works for me. Ultimately, where you place people on such a scale is going to be dependent on your own personal take on the canon. If you're going to put Anakin at a 6, then I think 5 would be the realm of Luke, Yoda and Kyp, but that's just me.

Quote:
I like your skill system and would love to see what you do with the advantages ect.

I'll keep you updated.

MasterKazur
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

PostPosted: Sun Feb 13, 2011 3:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Great. Can't wait to see what you come up with.

Hey, do me a favor and check out my "Prequel Trilogy characters" in the characters section, will ya Smile
Would love to hear your thoughts.
garhkal
Sovereign Protector
Sovereign Protector

PostPosted: Sun Feb 13, 2011 7:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have seen only 1 gm have something similar, and each of his 6 'rankings' didn't have any cp discount, but DID have a skill max. So the lower tier would be limited to 3d.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> House Rules All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: