The Rancor Pit Forum Index
Welcome to The Rancor Pit forums!

The Rancor Pit Forum Index
FAQ   ::   Search   ::   Memberlist   ::   Usergroups   ::   Register   ::   Profile   ::   Log in to check your private messages   ::   Log in

Online advice?
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> Tools -> Online advice?
View previous topic :: View next topic  
ij thompson
Cadet
Cadet

PostPosted: Mon Feb 07, 2011 12:54 pm    Post subject: Online advice? Reply with quote

Hello you guys! Long-time lurker, first-time poster (though I think I remember some of you from the HoloNet Forums).

So, after almost ten years, I've got a jones... a jones for more D6!

Of course, fat chance of my finding players in my area... so it looks like I gotta go online. Playing online has been just fine for Tapestry (it's play-by-post, all fiction, no dice), but now it's time to leap into the arena that (hopefully) many of you are familiar with.

Now, I know there are great programs out there; MapTools, OpenRPG, GameTable, and stuff like that. But from what I'm seeing, they're too good. What I'm basically looking for is:

• Multiplayer chat, across all platforms.
  • An incorporated D6 dice roller, with the wild die, that players can roll themselves, and whose results are recorded within the chat.
  • The ability to add pictures to the chat during play (I could survive without this one).

That's it! No mapping, no tokens, no 'fog of war'. Is there anything like this out there?

I'd be very thankful for any advice you can offer! Smile
Raven Redstar
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

PostPosted: Mon Feb 07, 2011 1:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

MIRC has multi-user chat, with dice roller bots which can be added in. I've seen several people use them for online meetings, not sure about games, but I've never done much in the way of online RPG.
As for adding pictures, I'm not sure if that's able to be done through MIRC, but one can always post links to pictures if they're hosted on a website somewhere.

Anyway, good luck, I'm sure there are other options, but that was the first thing that came to mind.
ij thompson
Cadet
Cadet

PostPosted: Mon Feb 07, 2011 3:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you, Raven!

I think I've since found a good chat solution, and the die roller here on Rancor Pit is certainly all kinds of awesome. Now, the moment of truth: will the players object to me rolling the dice for them? Laughing
cheshire
Arbiter-General (Moderator)

PostPosted: Tue Feb 08, 2011 10:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Part of the fun is rolling your own dice, rather than just seeing random number generation appearing on the screen.

I've got a really nice javascript dice roller that I'm not sure I understand why it's never been converted into anything available in a chat. (Of course, that probably has more to do with my lack of understanding of how chats are programed.)

You can find it in my signature.
vong
Jedi

PostPosted: Tue Feb 08, 2011 12:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

we already have an IRC room setup, complete with dice roller.

http://www.rancorpit.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=1812&start=0

hop by and type "!d6 5 2" to roll 5D+2

I can command the bot to join any room you want as well, so you can make a private room elswhere for your games Smile

PM me if you want user created content uploaded to my site: http://databank.yvong.com/index.php
Bren
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

PostPosted: Tue Feb 08, 2011 1:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ij thompson wrote:
I think I've since found a good chat solution, and the die roller here on Rancor Pit is certainly all kinds of awesome. Now, the moment of truth: will the players object to me rolling the dice for them? Laughing

It wouldn't bother me. But as I haven't done the PBP thing yet, I would defer to others as to what most players might feel about who rolls.
Falcon79
Commander
Commander

PostPosted: Wed Feb 09, 2011 5:33 am    Post subject: Re: Online advice? Reply with quote

ij thompson wrote:
Hello you guys! Long-time lurker, first-time poster (though I think I remember some of you from the HoloNet Forums).

So, after almost ten years, I've got a jones... a jones for more D6!

Of course, fat chance of my finding players in my area... so it looks like I gotta go online. Playing online has been just fine for Tapestry (it's play-by-post, all fiction, no dice), but now it's time to leap into the arena that (hopefully) many of you are familiar with.

Now, I know there are great programs out there; MapTools, OpenRPG, GameTable, and stuff like that. But from what I'm seeing, they're too good. What I'm basically looking for is:

• Multiplayer chat, across all platforms.
  • An incorporated D6 dice roller, with the wild die, that players can roll themselves, and whose results are recorded within the chat.
  • The ability to add pictures to the chat during play (I could survive without this one).

That's it! No mapping, no tokens, no 'fog of war'. Is there anything like this out there?

I'd be very thankful for any advice you can offer! Smile

well macs can run windows progroms i hear now, game table works well enough for me and so does openm upen even does the exploding dice rhing of d6 and ptctures can be posted in it... sadly multi plat form is hard to do, and having a very rough drawn map to get jist of location helps at times for me as a player (not talkin minis battle but showing locations and such even many good gms do it.).
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> Tools All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: