The Rancor Pit Forum Index
Welcome to The Rancor Pit forums!

The Rancor Pit Forum Index
FAQ   ::   Search   ::   Memberlist   ::   Usergroups   ::   Register   ::   Profile   ::   Log in to check your private messages   ::   Log in

GM tracking all player damage.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> House Rules -> GM tracking all player damage. Goto page Previous  1, 2
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Bren
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

PostPosted: Mon Feb 07, 2011 7:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

garhkal wrote:
Yup. Take ADND for example. BY the base rules (no called shots, no crits), a person butt neked, who has earned say 3 levels of experience as a warrior with a 17 constitution can flat out shrug off a heavy crossbow bolt to the chest. I say shrug, cause even maxing the damage out is not going to drop him.

But he will take some damage, just not enough to kill or incapacitate. On the other hand a 5D6 STR Star Wars character can shrug off a blaster rifle shot and will nearly always shrug off lighter weapons with absolutely no damage. While I agree the first result is not realistic, I maintain the second result is also not very realistic.

But again, neither game is trying for realism. One is trying to simulate some mix of Conan the Barbarian meets Jack Vance magic where players can easily see gradual attrition in health or defense much in the way some miniatures rules tracked damage to units; while the other is trying to simulate the cinematic action of the first three Star Wars movies.
CRMcNeill
Director of Engineering
Director of Engineering

Location: Redding System, California Sector, on the I-5 Hyperspace Route.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 08, 2011 5:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bren wrote:
But again, neither game is trying for realism. One is trying to simulate some mix of Conan the Barbarian meets Jack Vance magic where players can easily see gradual attrition in health or defense much in the way some miniatures rules tracked damage to units; while the other is trying to simulate the cinematic action of the first three Star Wars movies.

Perhaps an option for realism would be that, if an attack strikes and does no damage, the character is still mildly shocked by the impact or the graze, is at a -1D penalty for the remainder of this round and all of the next round.

The CRMcNeill Stat/Rule Index
Bren
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

PostPosted: Tue Feb 08, 2011 7:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

crmcneill wrote:
Perhaps an option for realism would be that, if an attack strikes and does no damage, the character is still mildly shocked by the impact or the graze, is at a -1D penalty for the remainder of this round and all of the next round.

Could help and seems akin to version 1 of WEG Star Wars.

Typically we manage by using the optional rules increasing damage based on good rolls to hit. If characters actually just stood there and took the shot, I would tend to give a bonus to the chance to hit. Thus I don't see a need to change the rules. I was merely pointing out that all rules fail to perfectly simulate. SW isn't trying to simulate reality, only the style of the first three movies. Therefore a lack of reality on some level isn't suprising.
ZzaphodD
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

PostPosted: Tue Feb 08, 2011 4:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bren wrote:
crmcneill wrote:

Could help and seems akin to version 1 of WEG Star Wars.

Typically we manage by using the optional rules increasing damage based on good rolls to hit. If characters actually just stood there and took the shot, I would tend to give a bonus to the chance to hit. Thus I don't see a need to change the rules. I was merely pointing out that all rules fail to perfectly simulate. SW isn't trying to simulate reality, only the style of the first three movies. Therefore a lack of reality on some level isn't suprising.

Its exactly as the 1st ed SW rules. If you were hit, you were always stunned.

I use a rule I 'inherited' from an earlier GM who ran a SW game where I was a player. If the resistance roll is greater than but not double the damage roll you are stunned.
Ankhanu
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

PostPosted: Tue Feb 08, 2011 6:55 pm    Post subject: Re: GM tracking all player damage. Reply with quote

hazardchris wrote:
I was reading the Penny Arcade blog today, and the artist was talking about the D&D game he playing in and mentioned a technique that his DM is using -- namely that the players don't keep track of their HP. The DM describes the effect that the attack has (It glances off, his blade bites deep into your arm, ect.) rather than telling you how many hit points you loose.

I really like this idea, and while I'm sure it's not a wholly original concept, it's the first I've heard of it. I'm thinking of ways to adapt this to Star Wars D6. Obviously, this technique was designed with the Hit Point system in mind, not the D6 health system.

So, to cope with that, I'm considering ditching the negative die penalty in favor of a static negative in it's place. The easiest that I can think of is to just replace the -1D with a simple -4 or -3 to the skill/attribute roll.

Another possibility is to make some sort of ascending penalty that gets worse depending on your injury type. I'll sit down with it and run some numbers on it, but I want to know what The Pit thinks about the concept idea and any suggestions that you'd have for it.

This works with an HP style system, but it's kinda meaningless with WEG D6. The basic descriptions of "a glancing hit" "causes searing pain" and such can be applied to Stun and Wound severities, but, really, for a character, that's all that matters. Beyond this they're going to be unconscious or dead.
Built into the rules you already have a basic description versus numeric damage setup. You don't have to tell your players that they took 12 damage, you can tell them they suffer a wound... you can use other adjectives if you like. Take too may Wounds or Stuns and you fall down. It's pretty simple and has latitude for description as it is.

Donate to Ankhanu Press
garhkal
Sovereign Protector
Sovereign Protector

PostPosted: Tue Feb 08, 2011 7:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have yet to play under a gm for SW, where you always took a stun regardless of how great your soak is compared to damage..

IF i was to implement something like that, i would say the weapon that shoots you has to be within a D of your soak pool, to have that auto stun effect. So no 3d+1 hold outs giving rancors auto stuns...
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> House Rules All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: