The Rancor Pit Forum Index
Welcome to The Rancor Pit forums!

The Rancor Pit Forum Index
FAQ   ::   Search   ::   Memberlist   ::   Usergroups   ::   Register   ::   Profile   ::   Log in to check your private messages   ::   Log in

Boarding Actions in Capital Ship Combat
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> House Rules -> Boarding Actions in Capital Ship Combat
View previous topic :: View next topic  
CRMcNeill
Director of Engineering
Director of Engineering

Location: Redding System, California Sector, on the I-5 Hyperspace Route.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 02, 2011 4:29 pm    Post subject: Boarding Actions in Capital Ship Combat Reply with quote

This is something that has been nagging at me for a little while now. We know that boarding actions do occur in the SWU (it was practically the first scene), but there are no rules for performing a boarding action in-game apart from role-playing the whole scenario out. I'd like to see some rules for SW that would allow a pirate captain or military starship to engage in a board-to-capture action that doesn't necessarily involve RP'ing the boarding action round by round (or at the very least, would give the GM a measuring stick as to how challenging a boarding action is going to be before he initiates combat).

Battlefleet Gothic has relatively simple rules for boarding actions, having the two ships compare their remaining Hit points against each other to determine the status of the boarding action. However, BFG's Hit ratings for ships are based mostly on crew strength, which doesn't translate directly over to the Hull ratings of SWU Capital Ships.

What would be an equitable way to convert SW Capital Ship crew levels into a D6 rating to use for boarding actions? Factors would include crew numbers and quality, starship internal layout, morale...

Thoughts?

The CRMcNeill Stat/Rule Index
jmanski
Arbiter-General (Moderator)

PostPosted: Wed Feb 02, 2011 5:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

So you want a number that adds in crew combat abilities (blaster, dodge, etc) of both sides as well as modifiers for crew size and ship capabilities (defenses, layout)?

There are mass combat rules out there that would take care of the combat portion. What about the rest? I guess you make modifier numbers for everything else.....?
CRMcNeill
Director of Engineering
Director of Engineering

Location: Redding System, California Sector, on the I-5 Hyperspace Route.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 02, 2011 9:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

jmanski wrote:
So you want a number that adds in crew combat abilities (blaster, dodge, etc) of both sides as well as modifiers for crew size and ship capabilities (defenses, layout)?

There are mass combat rules out there that would take care of the combat portion. What about the rest? I guess you make modifier numbers for everything else.....?

I know there are, but those mass combat rules don't mix with the information provided by the existing starship stat templates. For a boarding action you need info on all the various skills involved, which crew has those skills, and which have them at lower levels (or not at all). Ultimately it becomes a mass calculation rule for every ship involved. I'm looking for a simple rule where you can gen up a Boarding Action Strength dice for a ship in under a minute, using maybe half a dozen factors, all gleaned from the existing WEG-style ship stat.

The CRMcNeill Stat/Rule Index
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> House Rules All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: