The Rancor Pit Forum Index
Welcome to The Rancor Pit forums!

The Rancor Pit Forum Index
FAQ   ::   Search   ::   Memberlist   ::   Usergroups   ::   Register   ::   Profile   ::   Log in to check your private messages   ::   Log in

Saga Edition Organization Rules
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> House Rules -> Saga Edition Organization Rules
View previous topic :: View next topic  
CRMcNeill
Director of Engineering
Director of Engineering

Location: Redding System, California Sector, on the I-5 Hyperspace Route.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 28, 2011 9:03 pm    Post subject: Saga Edition Organization Rules Reply with quote

Note: I chopped this reply from another Topic that was getting off-topic, but doing so on a subject that interests me.

garhkal wrote:
Yes i do. Heck, one of the older groups i gamed with in Norfolk Va had it where to advance from say Ensign to LT in the sf corps, you had to have a min of (Example) 4d command, 3d+2 tactics, 6d SF piloting, 3d Bureaucracy.. LT to LTCommander, they went to 4d+2/4d+1/6d+2 and 4d...

I like it. Do you have a copy of those rules available? If not, what skills from the list would be appropriate "military" skills?

This might be a good place to adapt in WEG's Saga Edition rules for organizations. It'd be complicated, but we could make a character's position in a given organization be based on their skill level in a handful of skills applicable to that organization. This might require the character to spend points to build skills where he normally wouldn't, but he would then receive non-skill benefits in the form of privileges and favors from the organization, due to the character's advancing rank. To create added story options, perhaps the character could earn bonus CPs by performing special missions for the parent organization, which could then be spent as normal.

If we could work up rules for this, there are enough organizations listed in the various Saga Edition books that the result might require another Gry Srth stat compilation. If nothing else, such a tome would quickly become a GM's best friend for coming up with an instant adventure.

Thoughts?

The CRMcNeill Stat/Rule Index
garhkal
Sovereign Protector
Sovereign Protector

PostPosted: Fri Jan 28, 2011 10:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

What i used was an example, but no i don't have it. As to what skills would be appropriate mil skills.. What i posted.

Command - Duh
Tactics - Duh
Bureaucracy - the mil is a lot about the paperwork..
CRMcNeill
Director of Engineering
Director of Engineering

PostPosted: Fri Jan 28, 2011 10:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

garhkal wrote:
What i used was an example, but no i don't have it. As to what skills would be appropriate mil skills.. What i posted.

Command - Duh
Tactics - Duh
Bureaucracy - the mil is a lot about the paperwork..

At higher levels, there might be less obvious educational requirements, so perhaps some skill dice in Planetary Systems, Alien Species or Scholar. After all, I hear that in the military, having post-graduate degrees is a plus when bucking for promotion

garhkal
Sovereign Protector
Sovereign Protector

PostPosted: Sat Jan 29, 2011 2:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dat is true. Plus educational degrees in the specific 'aspect' of your officer hood, such as engineering for a seabee officer.
CRMcNeill
Director of Engineering
Director of Engineering

PostPosted: Sat Jan 29, 2011 3:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

garhkal wrote:
Dat is true. Plus educational degrees in the specific 'aspect' of your officer hood, such as engineering for a seabee officer.

So do you have any thoughts on my Organization rules concept?

garhkal
Sovereign Protector
Sovereign Protector

PostPosted: Sat Jan 29, 2011 4:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ensign rate (01)
Space com officers - flight
Min stats, 5d piloting of their area of expertize, 3d+2 tactics, 3d+2 command, 3d bureaucracy. + players choice of 1-2 tech skills to show 'area of focus (starfighter repair, space transport repair, starship weapon repair 4d

Space com officers - bridge
See above, their area of focus being bridge, such as comms, astrogation, sensors.

Space comm offiicers - Weps
See above but with gunnery instead for focus

Lieutenant Junior grade(02)
Skills increase to 5d+2, 4d, 4d+1*, 3d+2, 5d, add scholar - science 3d

LT (03)
Inc skills to 6d+1, 4d+1, 5d*, 4d+1 and 5d+2. add in 1 other 'area focused skill at 4d min and persuasion at 4d. Scholar to 4d, alien species to 4d and language to 4d

LT-Commander (04)
Inc skills to 7d/4d+2/5d+2*/4d+2/6d/4d+2 add 3rd back up skill for focus, as well as law enforcement (4d), scholar - science 5d, AS and lang to 4d+2

Commander (05)
Skills to 7d+2/5d/6d+1*/5d+1/5d+1, back up to 4d+2 and scholar adds 2nd field. AS and lang to 5d+1

Captain (06)
Skills to 8d+1, 5d+1/6d+2*/6d/6d, back up to 5d, add 3rd field, scholar goes to 5d+2, and lang/AS to 5d+2.

Cultures and Planetary systems would be good ideas for back up skills.
ZzaphodD
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

PostPosted: Sat Jan 29, 2011 5:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I dont see us using this to such an extent, but 'forcing' players to put some CPs into tactics (and later strategy if you want to climb higher) might be a good idea.

As Im Old As Hell, I remember my old Traveller (the small black books) days where you put your character through different military careers at char gen, giving you a plethora of military skills.
Kirkler
Sub-Lieutenant
Sub-Lieutenant

PostPosted: Sat Jan 29, 2011 11:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I like your ideas here, but as a member of the military you can't forget basic military skills like blaster, melee, Military history, and first aid. I'm not saying they should increase with rank just that you have to have a minum to become an officer to start with.
garhkal
Sovereign Protector
Sovereign Protector

PostPosted: Sat Jan 29, 2011 11:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thats why i focused on space comm..

For ground com, the 'focus' skills would revolve around melee, brawl, melee/brawl parry, blaster, grenade, dodge.
Kirkler
Sub-Lieutenant
Sub-Lieutenant

PostPosted: Sat Jan 29, 2011 11:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Using the canadian forces officers as an example, even the airforce and Navy Lt's have to have basic first aid, rifle, history, and bayonette training. The army goes more into fittness and more advanced weapon training and close quater combat training. I figure it's a good system and make sense to me that if your in a military force you should be required to have a little understanding of how to defend ones self.
garhkal
Sovereign Protector
Sovereign Protector

PostPosted: Sat Jan 29, 2011 11:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hm.. i might see that.
Kirkler
Sub-Lieutenant
Sub-Lieutenant

PostPosted: Sat Jan 29, 2011 11:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

All jonior officers require a minum of 3d in blaster, melee combat or parry, first aid and military history on completion of basic training. Then from there they will go into trade training where they would acquire the skills of thier job such as flight training, engineering and such.
CRMcNeill
Director of Engineering
Director of Engineering

PostPosted: Sat Jan 29, 2011 12:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kirkler wrote:
I like your ideas here, but as a member of the military you can't forget basic military skills like blaster, melee, Military history, and first aid. I'm not saying they should increase with rank just that you have to have a minum to become an officer to start with.

Well, the idea here is that, to advance in rank (as opposed to level), the character needs to show proficiency in other areas. Command, Tactics and Bureaucracy are obvious choices for advancement in a military officer corps, but it is my understanding that a person who augments their military training with an applicable post-graduate degree is looked upon more favorably for promotion than someone who has not. I'm not saying that they should sacrifice dice in other areas, but that their template should also reflect their progress through their given career choice.

This wouldn't just have to be limited to the military, either. Most civilian businesses require continuing education, as well. A character who works for a non-military organization could follow similar rules, i.e. that their position in the company is based on their progression in certain skills that are applicable to that company's field (as opposed to character experience).

ZzaphodD
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

PostPosted: Sat Jan 29, 2011 3:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My players tend to be military drop-outs at best. As such I have no problem with glaring shortcomings from their training and experience. However if one wanted to make a character that was a serious military I would advice the character to have minimum levels at least in some of the above skills.
Kirkler
Sub-Lieutenant
Sub-Lieutenant

PostPosted: Sat Jan 29, 2011 3:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You should also keep it in mind for Templates that didn't start off as part of an orginization, say you had a smuggler turned Rebel who wanted to advance as an officer, or a young Jedi who wish to be a X-wing pilot, I like to offer my players the freedom of choice when it comes to Templates. We often ran a rebel Squadron with many non pilots templates in the ranks.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> House Rules All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: