The Rancor Pit Forum Index
Welcome to The Rancor Pit forums!

The Rancor Pit Forum Index
FAQ   ::   Search   ::   Memberlist   ::   Usergroups   ::   Register   ::   Profile   ::   Log in to check your private messages   ::   Log in

Lightsaber Form vs Form
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> House Rules -> Lightsaber Form vs Form Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
View previous topic :: View next topic  
CRMcNeill
Director of Engineering
Director of Engineering

Location: Redding System, California Sector, on the I-5 Hyperspace Route.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 13, 2011 11:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Since we're on the subject of lightsabers, for quite some time I have been considering a Lightsaber Combat ability with a broader scope to reflect the multitude of occurrences in the canon where the Force is used to amplify a Jedi's combat abilities even when they are not using a lightsaber. Examples include unarmed combat, starfighter combat, ranged weapon combat, etc. The Lightsaber Combat article on Wookiepedia states that Jedi regularly combined unarmed combat moves, such as Force-amplified punches and kicks. As such, here is my new version of Lightsaber Combat.

Battle Mind (Expanded Lightsaber Combat)

Author's Note: Combines and expands the Force powers of Combat Sense and Lightsaber Combat

Description:
With this power, a Force user can focus the power of the Force to enhance his own abilities in a wide variety of combat situations. When active, the Jedi's senses extend all around him, highlighting any active combatants as well as potential threats, and the Force guides his actions on attack and defense, augmenting his physical combat training and abilities.

Difficulty:
Control - Moderate
Sense - Easy

This power may be kept "up"

Rules:
When using this power, a Force user may add his Sense dice to his attack and reaction rolls, and his Control dice to his damage rolls (with restrictions, see below). On damage rolls, the Jedi may declare in advance the degree of damage he wishes to inflict, but must roll one difficulty level higher than normal. Using this rule, the Jedi can also choose to inflict a Maimed result rather than killing the target outright (Maimed requires a Killed result, but merely Incapacitates the target while inflicting a permanent injury, such as an amputation).
A Force adept using this power will always have initiative, and can declare when his action will occur in the round. If more than one Force user is using this power, then roll initiative as normal to determine whose initiative has precedence

Restrictions:
Battle Mind works best when combined with non-Force combat training. It may be applied to any form of personal combat, armed or unarmed, as well as vehicle combat. The minimum combat bonus is +2D, however the Sense bonus can be no higher than the character's skill in the weapon being used (i.e. if used to enhance a Blaster skill roll, and the Force user has a Blaster of 5D and a Sense of 8D, only 5D of Sense dice may be added to the attack roll).[Optional: This rule may also be applied to damage rolls, with exceptions for specialized Jedi weaponry]
Jedi may use this skill as a reaction to ranged weapon fire (as per the Lightsaber Combat skill), but not all weapons are capable of deflecting blaster bolts. Unless otherwise noted, any object struck by a blaster bolt takes full damage, while any object listed as "lightsaber resistant" functions as a lightsaber for the purposes of deflecting ranged weapons fire. A Jedi may even react to ranged weapons while unarmed, but must combine this ability with Absorb/Dissipate Energy or a similar ability.

Thoughts? I'll be posting my improved Danger Sense stat next.

The CRMcNeill Stat/Rule Index

Last edited by CRMcNeill on Fri Jan 14, 2011 2:09 am; edited 1 time in total
CRMcNeill
Director of Engineering
Director of Engineering

PostPosted: Thu Jan 13, 2011 11:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Danger Sense

Author's Note: This is an expansion of the Danger Sense RAW to reflect the official ability of Force users to detect threats more than one round in advance.

Sense Difficulty: Varies:

Reaction Sense - Easy

Allows a Jedi to sense impending danger automatically. Any potential threat registers, so long as the Jedi succeeds on his Sense roll. In game terms, this is treated like a reaction roll, and success means that the Jedi becomes aware of impending danger without conscious choice. On a successful roll, the Jedi simply becomes aware of a danger in his immediate future. The warning doesn’t come from any specific direction, but does increase or decrease as the Jedi moves closer to or away from the danger source.

Identify Danger - Moderate

Once the Jedi is aware of the danger, he may begin to seek out its source. A success on this roll identifies the source of the danger, such as a person waiting in ambush, or a series of trip-wire activated automatic weapons.

Counteract Danger - Difficult

Once the danger is identified, the character may begin to analyze the dangerous situation, feeling their way around the edges of it by examining the danger level involved in various potential actions involving the threat. A success on this roll allows character to identify possible courses of action to avoid or defuse the danger.

When facing a Force-using opponent, Difficulty is as normal plus the opponent’s Control Dice roll.

Difficulty is modified by temporal and physical proximity, as well as threat level (See chart below).

Notes: Danger Sense can be used to sense danger to others, modified by relationship.

Modifiers:

Physical:
+0 - Direct threats to the Jedi
+5 - General threat to the Jedi (Jedi on ship’s bridge: "The bridge is going to be attacked!")
+10 – Non-specific threat (Jedi on ship’s bridge "The ship’s engines are about to be attacked!")
+15 and up – Political, or very vague, non-direct attacks. ("It’s not about the mission, Master. It’s something…elsewhere…elusive")

Temporal:
+0 – Will occur in the next round or action
+5 – Will occur within the next minute
+10 - Will occur within the next half-hour
+15 – Will occur within the next hour
+20 and up - Will occur in more than an hour

Threat Level:
+0 – Minor (Traffic Accident, a simple mugging attempt)
-10 – Medium (Assassins lying in wait)
-20 – Major (The planet you are on is about to be attacked by the Death Star)

This power can be kept "up" with reservations. The basic “Easy” Danger Sense is always up, but the subsequent, more advanced rolls to identify the source and avoid it must be re-rolled for every threat.

Effect:
Danger Sense allows a Jedi a minor glimpse into the future, specifically detecting any potential dangers the Jedi may encounter in his immediate future. This power functions like an early warning system, allowing the Jedi to detect any attacks before they are made. This gives the Jedi time to decide how to react to the danger. In game terms, if any character is going to attack a Jedi, they must declare their action before it happens. Characters who are going to attack the Jedi may add their Control skill to increase the difficulty of using the power.

Last edited by CRMcNeill on Fri Jan 14, 2011 3:45 am; edited 1 time in total
CRMcNeill
Director of Engineering
Director of Engineering

PostPosted: Fri Jan 14, 2011 3:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here's another technique idea from Wookiepedia's Lightsaber Combat page:

Tràkata

Description:
Tràkata is a lightsaber technique emphasizing practical combat and deception. Its primary emphasis was on turning the unique ability of lightsabers to instantly activate and deactivate into a combat advantage, but the philosophy could also be applied to any deceptive technique used to gain an advantage in combat.

Effect:
Tràkata is considered a specialization of Lightsaber. It is not used in combat on its own, but as a technique applied to the adept’s base Form. It must be improved as is normal for specializations. The skill’s dice value can then be applied, in whole or in part, as a bonus to a combat roll in the duel. Successful application requires that the adept make a separate Lightsaber or Control check against the opponent’s Lightsaber or Sense skill. The adept must declare in advance the number of dice being used from his skill total. If the roll fails, the declared number of bonus dice is lost for the remainder of the duel.

Azai
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

PostPosted: Fri Jan 14, 2011 12:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I do have a desire to get to Sokan, and actually make more forms. But I really want to get the seven official forms down first. And since I have a problem with making all them feel actually unique and different, at least in my eyes, I don't want to add another into the mix. Not to stop anyone else from starting to make those forms though.

I enjoy the levels, I also like the control it gives me to make sure this is given when you reach around here. Like the scaling works great for pip additions and deductions. But when I have rules that take away some of your movement, as levels increase it makes keeping track of it more complex. By all means you if wanna snipe the forms, it seems your pip system would work really well, and it wouldn't be too hard to change it into that system. I think I just kinda like the levels when you reach the 8D skill for expert, and then the 12D for Master. So it may be a matter of personal preference here Wink

The reason I used that as a example is these styles are thousands of years old by the time of the Republic (The prequels one) and by that time a form is its own form. And from what I read from wookiepedia, honestly the main source I use, it says Shii-Cho was used as a good foundation and easy start for those new to lightsaber combat. But to me it seems like the Jedi Order used it as more of a preference then actual requirement. But at the same time using requirements for other styles to learn certain styles, is a good way to balance and then make styles a little more unique. So again by all means you have merits for if you want to change it that way.

Though in my Star Wars Universe I went in and put forms with Luke. I read in Wookiepedia (If you read the different Forms, not Luke's page) that Obi-won did actually show Luke his styles, at least again according to them. Also I can also venture that Yoda might have covered some of it too, despite not seeing it on screen. But this is clearly a in-house universe, as despite the sources I found it does contradict other EU sources. So I have been painstakingly going through ALL the major force users and applying them form styles(Researching which ones they should have)

Though for failing a willpower roll, it does sound a little harsh. I think I want to change it to if you commit an evil act while using Vaapad or Juyo the DSPs are doubled.... Or no. That wouldn't really make sense. I might actually change that to more of a role-play thing or house thing that those using this style are less resistant to the lure of the darkside. So consider Vaapad and Juyo being looked at and redone.

Yea what I had Jar'Kai is like okay Jar'Kai just allows you to attack and parry without penalty. But also your attacks don't do as much damage. But if you have to a form. So Jar'Kai: Shii Cho, would have to be raised differently then Shii-Cho. Same with Jar'Kai: Ataru, have to be raised differently then Ataru.

I think I did that, personally, to balance things out. Vaapad just because they get enough free attacks I don't want to give them more, and Makashi is because they already get increased benefits for dueling I didn't want to give them more. Probably could be said about the other forms, I think I am going to go back and look at it. Maybe it gives some benefits but also with some styles it takes things away too.
Azai
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

PostPosted: Fri Jan 14, 2011 3:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

So I did another take of Shien, and Djem So. I feel better about what it was before.

It also makes the styles a little different then Makashi, Shii-Cho, and Soresu.

Shien /Djem So: Form V "The way of the Krayt Dragon"
Description:
Form V was developed by practitioners of Soresu who felt that the defensively-minded form would unnecessarily extend time spent in combat by forcing its users to wait for an opportunity to strike, rather than creating their own openings. Shien, considered the classical Form V, was more adept at blocking blaster bolts, where as Djem So, developed later, was designed for lightsaber combat. Both Shien and Djem So were designed to use the opponent's attack against them, as evidenced by Shien's focus on returning blaster bolts to their origin.

Difficulty: Difficult
Effect:
The different Variants must be learned and raised separately. Though since they are so closely linked, when the practitioner purchases the variant it starts at what the other variant current skill dice is.

Shien:
A Shien user is able to redirect two blaster bolts without any MAPs, each round.. Also if they attack in a round, and then must parry they do not incur MAP penalties. If one is using a reverse grip they gain +2D to attacks, each round the advantage goes down, even below 0D down to negative bonuses.
Ex. If Obi-won is using a reverse grip for three rounds, he gains -1D to attacks, and in the fourth round gains -2D.

Prerequisites: 3D Strength

Expert Shien:
An Expert in Shien is able to redirect three blaster bolts without any MAPs, each round. Also they are allowed to attack and defend in one round without MAP penalties. If one is using a reverse grip they gain +2D to attacks, and can only go down to -2D penalty.

Master Shien:
A Master of Shien gains +1D to all parries, and is able to redirect four blaster bolts without any MAPs. Also they are allowed to attack and defend in one round without MAP penalties. If one is using a reverse grip they gain +3D to attacks, and can only go down to -1D penalty.

Variant Form V: Djem So
Djem So:
When using Djem So a Practitioner gains a +1D to parries, +1D to all counter attacks. On a successful parry they gain +1D Strength to a free strength check against their opponent. If they are successful their opponent parries at -1D against their next attack. Though because the lack of mobility and motion, when flanked, or attack from behind a Djem So practitioner has -3D to defend themselves. They also only have one fourth their move.

Expert Djem So
An Expert of Djem So gets +1D to all Parries, and +2D to all Counter Attacks. With a successful parry gets to add +1D Strength to a free strength check against their opponent, if successful their opponent parries their next attack -2D. An Expert is given no multiple-action penalty for counter-attacking during that round. An expert of Djem So only gains half their move Though because oft he lack of moblility and motion, when flanked, or attacked from behind a Djem So practitioner has -2D to defend themselves. They also only have half their move.

Master Djem So
A Master of Djem So gets +1D to all parries, and +3D to all Counter Attacks. Upon a successful parry they get to add +1D to a free strength check against their opponent. If successful their opponent parries the Master's next attack at -2D, and the Master is given no multiple-action penalty for counter-attacking, during that round. They only have 3 fourths of their move.Though because oft he lack of moblility and motion, when flanked, or attacked from behind a Djem So practitioner has -2D to defend themselves. They also only have three fourths their move.
Azai
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

PostPosted: Fri Jan 14, 2011 3:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Also edited, and reversed Juyo. It makes more sense to me as a foe pushes their offensive, and increase their furry, they gain bonuses not lose them.

Juyo / Vaapad: Form VII "The way of the Vornskr"

Description
Juyo was described as the most vicious form of lightsaber combat and was said to be filled with both fury and "malignant grace."The form was given the title of the most difficult and demanding form in all of saber combat. Skilled combatants with Juyo were said to be able to "eviscerate a lone enemy." The form was both chaotic and erratic, with a heavy focus on offense.

Difficulty: Difficult

Effects:
All parries against Juyo in the first round are done at -1D, and in the first two rounds of combat the practitioner gains +1D to attacks, and then the following rounds gets +2D to attack. Though users of this style get -3D against force against. When using this style the darkside is a little harder to resist, as you must give in to furry and almost chaos to press the attack..

Prerequisites: 6D in Control, 3D Dex, 3D Strength.

Expert of Juyo :
All parries made against an expert of Juyo in the first round are at -1D, in the first two rounds of combat a Juyo user gets +1D to attacks, in the next two they get +2D, and then in all others gain +3D. They have -2D against force attacks.

Master of Juyo:
A parries made against a master of Juyo in the first two rounds are done at -1D, in the first two rounds of combat a Juyo master gains +1D to attack, in the next two +2D to attack, in the next two +3D, and then only +4D. A master of Juyo still has a weakness against force attacks, and has -2D against these attacks
Random Numbers
Commander
Commander

PostPosted: Fri Jan 14, 2011 6:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

crmcneill wrote:
Here's another technique idea from Wookiepedia's Lightsaber Combat page:

Tràkata

Description:
Tràkata is a lightsaber technique emphasizing practical combat and deception. Its primary emphasis was on turning the unique ability of lightsabers to instantly activate and deactivate into a combat advantage, but the philosophy could also be applied to any deceptive technique used to gain an advantage in combat.

Effect:
Tràkata is considered a specialization of Lightsaber. It is not used in combat on its own, but as a technique applied to the adept’s base Form. It must be improved as is normal for specializations. The skill’s dice value can then be applied, in whole or in part, as a bonus to a combat roll in the duel. Successful application requires that the adept make a separate Lightsaber or Control check against the opponent’s Lightsaber or Sense skill. The adept must declare in advance the number of dice being used from his skill total. If the roll fails, the declared number of bonus dice is lost for the remainder of the duel.

I thought you had to roll for Lightsaber Combat every time you turned of your lightsaber?
CRMcNeill
Director of Engineering
Director of Engineering

PostPosted: Fri Jan 14, 2011 7:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Random Numbers wrote:
I thought you had to roll for Lightsaber Combat every time you turned of your lightsaber?

According to the RAW, Lightsaber Combat stays up unless the Jedi has been stunned, wounded or worse. If a Jedi has been stunned or wounded, he may attempt to bring it back up.

CRMcNeill
Director of Engineering
Director of Engineering

PostPosted: Fri Jan 14, 2011 9:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Azai wrote:
I do have a desire to get to Sokan, and actually make more forms. But I really want to get the seven official forms down first. And since I have a problem with making all them feel actually unique and different, at least in my eyes, I don't want to add another into the mix. Not to stop anyone else from starting to make those forms though.

My point is that most of the additional forms (above and beyond the seven main forms) deal almost exclusively with specific variations or enhancements to the original seven, especially in the case of Sokan and Trakata, which aren't really lightsaber combat forms at all. You want to take care that you don't make too many different actual forms because you will dilute the ability of character to choose between them.

Azai wrote:
I enjoy the levels, I also like the control it gives me to make sure this is given when you reach around here. Like the scaling works great for pip additions and deductions. But when I have rules that take away some of your movement, as levels increase it makes keeping track of it more complex. By all means you if wanna snipe the forms, it seems your pip system would work really well, and it wouldn't be too hard to change it into that system. I think I just kinda like the levels when you reach the 8D skill for expert, and then the 12D for Master. So it may be a matter of personal preference here Wink

Indeed. To each their own.

Azai wrote:
The reason I used that as a example is these styles are thousands of years old by the time of the Republic (The prequels one) and by that time a form is its own form. And from what I read from wookiepedia, honestly the main source I use, it says Shii-Cho was used as a good foundation and easy start for those new to lightsaber combat. But to me it seems like the Jedi Order used it as more of a preference then actual requirement. But at the same time using requirements for other styles to learn certain styles, is a good way to balance and then make styles a little more unique. So again by all means you have merits for if you want to change it that way.

I suppose my biggest gripe for the article in Wookiepedia is that KOTOR II is the main source of information for most of the Form details, and video games are never the most realistic source. After all, KOTOR is the source for the ridiculous Way of the Animal nicknames for the forms, so that's automatically a strike against them. In the original descriptions, Form I was only ever supposed to be the basic lightsaber combat form, akin to basic swordfighting, but factoring in the nature of a lightsaber. It wasn't supposed to have any real strengths or weaknesses, and was just a basic form. Then KOTOR II came along and inserted strengths and weaknesses for no other reason than to maintain balance in gameplay, and those rules don't translate well when compared to the system's original intent.

The quintessential source for the Seven Forms is an article in Star Wars Insider #62 called Fightsaber, which detailed the basic differences between the Forms. This article is also the origin for the Points of Contact names, as well as the "su ma" rotation techniques of Form IV. There are a lot of tidbits here, but I'll quote a few important ones:

"Young Jedi spend their first few years studying Form I and then a year or two with each additional form before completing their training. By comparison, a Form VI master will spend at least ten years studying only that form after completing the basic Form I training."

"Only high-level masters of multiple forms can achieve and control the ultimate discipline known as Form VII."

Although I make no secret of my disdain for the KOTOR II system and its video-game attempt to balance the forms, even they made it so that Vaapad/Juyo was only available to the more combat oriented classes in the game.

Azai wrote:
Though in my Star Wars Universe I went in and put forms with Luke. I read in Wookiepedia (If you read the different Forms, not Luke's page) that Obi-won did actually show Luke his styles, at least again according to them. Also I can also venture that Yoda might have covered some of it too, despite not seeing it on screen. But this is clearly a in-house universe, as despite the sources I found it does contradict other EU sources. So I have been painstakingly going through ALL the major force users and applying them form styles (Researching which ones they should have)

Actually, I went back and re-read the information in Fightsaber:

"In his duel against Darth Vader on Bespin, Luke Skywalker reveals himself as an extraordinarily gifted artist with the blade who has largely taught himself. After a single brief session with Obi-Wan Kenobi years ago, and only a short time with Yoda, Skywalker is able to hold up against a Dark Lord of the Sith at the height of his powers. It is only Vader's much greater experience that gives the Dark Lord the dominant edge in the battle."

"By the time of the Battle of Endor, Luke Skywalker has studied some lightsaber technique from Obi-Wan's journal and greatly enhanced his abilities. Without a Master, such advancement would be nearly impossible for most, but Skywalker's unparalleled aptitude makes him a match for Darth Vader in their fateful duel onboard the second Death Star. Both are limited, Vader by his cybernetic body parts and Skywalker by his relative lack of experience dueling. But Skywalker's skill at blaster deflection is highly refined [Form V?] and his lightsaber technique is so superb that he is able to duel the Dark Lord on an even footing - and finally able to defeat the man who is a powerful living product of the ancient Jedi sword traditions from time immemorial. Such an achievement with little formal training is a testament to Skywalker's innate abilities and instinctive skill. Tremendously strong with the Force, Skywalker never crosses the line into Sith hatefulness and ceases his attack immediately upon rendering his foe helpless - an even more impressive demonstration of self-mastery than his lightsaber skills."

Azai wrote:
Though for failing a willpower roll, it does sound a little harsh. I think I want to change it to if you commit an evil act while using Vaapad or Juyo the DSPs are doubled.... Or no. That wouldn't really make sense. I might actually change that to more of a role-play thing or house thing that those using this style are less resistant to the lure of the darkside. So consider Vaapad and Juyo being looked at and redone.

I'm working on some possible rules for Dun Moch. My concept is that, on a successful Dun Moch attack, the opponent is either terrified (cowers or tries to run away) or enraged (the character is driven to slay their opponent). In game terms, when enraged, the character must spend the round attacking his opponent, and is permitted a Willpower or Control roll to regain control. If the character fails to regain control before they slay their opponent, then they gain a DSP.

Perhaps something similar could be used for Vaapad. If the Vaapad adept fails his regular willpower check, he gives in to the darkness in himself and the "joy" of combat. He may attempt to regain control, but if he fails to regain control before he slays his opponent, he gains a DSP.

Azai wrote:
Yea what I had Jar'Kai is like okay Jar'Kai just allows you to attack and parry without penalty. But also your attacks don't do as much damage. But if you have to a form. So Jar'Kai: Shii Cho, would have to be raised differently then Shii-Cho. Same with Jar'Kai: Ataru, have to be raised differently then Ataru.

I think I did that, personally, to balance things out. Vaapad just because they get enough free attacks I don't want to give them more, and Makashi is because they already get increased benefits for dueling I didn't want to give them more. Probably could be said about the other forms, I think I am going to go back and look at it. Maybe it gives some benefits but also with some styles it takes things away too.

I'm trying to flesh out my concept of skills versus techniques, and I think Jar'Kai would be an excellent fit for a technique. My concept is that the skills would be one of the seven forms, but that techniques would be overarching principles that could be applied to any of the seven forms.

My nascent idea for Jar'Kai is that it is a technique that must be learned like a skill, but it does not progress like a skill. I think it might be a good fit for the level idea that you have, in that Jar'Kai could only be used in combination with the seven forms, but that each "level" represented an increase in overall bonus when combined with that form.

Example:

Jar'Kai, as a technique instead of a specialization, has no dice value, only bonus levels that must be purchased like skills. Jar'Kai can not be used in combat on its own, but must be combined with the basic technique of one of the seven core forms.

The Jar'Kai technique has four levels: Learner, Adept, Expert and Master, each representing an increasing level of bonuses available for use in the Jar'Kai technique.

When a Jedi wishes to learn the Jar'Kai technique, he spends the CP necessary to improve his lightsaber form skill by 1 pip. However, instead of gaining a pip, he may now choose to use the Jar'Kai technique at the Learner level to wield two lightsabers in combat using that lightsaber form. The Jedi using Jar'Kai may switch back and forth between single or double saber use without penalty.

At his next opportunity to increase his lightsaber technique, the Jedi can also choose (at the equivalent CP cost of increasing his lightsaber skill by 1 pip) to "level up" his Jar'Kai technique, which grants him increased bonuses to his basic form when using the Jar'Kai technique.

Thoughts?

CRMcNeill
Director of Engineering
Director of Engineering

PostPosted: Sat Jan 15, 2011 7:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Based on our discussions here, I'm attempting my own rewrite of the Dueling Blades optional rules. I'm attempting to come up with rules for the Tricks section, and I'm wondering if anyone has some suggestions. So far I have Disarm, Knockdown, Feint & Slash, and Entangle. Suggestions?

CRMcNeill
Director of Engineering
Director of Engineering

PostPosted: Sat Jan 15, 2011 5:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here's my Dueling Blades upgrade. The major difference is the addition of offensive and defensive options, as well as allowing the character to select between Fast or Strong technique options. I'll be working on the saber forms next, using this system as a template (as some forms obviously gravitate more towards speed or strength, or offense or defense).

I am less interested in special moves than I am on their effect on gameplay. IMO, many special rules could be rolled in together and represented merely by penalties or bonuses on dice rolls.

Dueling Blades

Step 1: Determine Initiative as normal

Step 2: The winner chooses either Attack or Defend, and both sides select between Balanced, Fast, Strong, Very Fast, and Very Strong (Note: Adepts of certain lightsaber Forms will be limited to specific choices depending on the limitations of their Form).

Effects: The selection of Attack or Defend simply decides which character will be using which chart for their success results (like the coin toss at the start of a football game, it merely determines field position). The choice of Balanced, Fast, Strong, Very Fast or Very Strong, however, provides benefits to one’s combat rolls. In addition, the various Forms also provide their own bonuses to combat, depending on their emphasis.

Balanced - No special bonuses either way
Fast - +1D to Lightsaber (does not reflect an increase in skill, but increased speed, offsetting MAPs), -1D to Damage
Strong - +1D to Damage (This bonus can also be applied to or against Knock Off Balance results), -1D to Lightsaber
Very Fast – As Fast, but with a +2D to Lightsaber and -2D to Strength
Very Strong – As Strong, but with a +2D to Strength and -2D to Lightsaber

Step 3: Roll Lightsaber again for combat result on the following tables

Attacker Success:

0 - +3 = Stalemate (Neither side gains or loses any advantage)

+4 - +7 = Force back (The attacker's blows are so well placed and powerful that the defender must retreat, often in a direction they'd rather not be heading. The attacker, with the gamemaster's help, determines the direction based on the surroundings and combatant's placement. The loser might be steered toward another obstacle: a wall, chasm, trap, another opponent, etc.)

+8 - +11 = Knock off balance (The attacker manages to knock the defender off balance, either through heavy blows, fancy maneuvering, or forcing the loser onto unsteady ground. This effectively "stuns" the defender, inflicting a -1D penalty against all actions for the next round only. The defender can still act, but at a significant disadvantage)

+12 - +15 = Wound (The attacker strikes a blow on the defender. Roll damage rules normally. If the defender was knocked off balance the previous round, the -1D penalty also applies to Strength rolls to resist damage. Alternately, the defender may choose to direct the damage against the attacker's weapon, or even use an unarmed attack.)

+16 or more = Trick (The attacker is so skilled and overpowering that they successfully execute a Trick on the defender.)

Defender Success:

0 - +3 = Stalemate (Neither side gains or loses any advantage)

+4 - +7 = Shift (The defender's parries are so well executed and skillful that they adroitly avoid the attacks and move back out of the way or to either side. The defender, with the gamemaster's help, determines the direction based on the surroundings and the combatant's placement)

+8 - +11 = Power Block (The defender forcefully rejects the attacker's efforts, forcing them back and off balance. This effectively stuns the attacker, inflicting a -1D penalty against all actions for the next round)

+12 - +15 = Wounding Parry (The defender subtly alters his defensive stance so that the attacker is wounded in the course of his offense. Resolve damage normally. The defender chooses how much damage was inflicted, within the range indicated by the damage roll. Alternately, the defender may choose to direct the damage against the attacker's weapon, or even use an unarmed attack.)

+16 or more = Trick (The defender so outclasses the attacker that they successfully execute a Trick.)

Note: The winner may always choose a lower option, no matter how high they roll. A good fighter knows how to produce the desired effect, whether it’s to maneuver an opponent into a tenuous position or wound him just enough.

Tricks:

Disarm – Winner knocks the loser’s weapon out of their grasp and send it flying several meters in a random direction (Use Grenade Scatter rules). Loser must make a Move action to reach their weapon, and picking up the weapon qualifies as a full action (i.e. attempting to move to the weapon, pick it up and return to combat in the same round incurs a -2D MAP). In addition, if the attacker ends up between the weapon and the loser, the loser will have to figure out a way to get around the winner to retrieve his weapon. Force adepts may side-step this difficulty by using Telekinesis to retrieve their weapon.

Feint & Kick – The winner delivers a blow that knocks the loser off balance and sends them stumbling 3D meters in a direction of the winner’s choosing. The loser must travel the full distance before stopping, even if it means they go off a ledge or into a beam grid or minefield.

Knockdown – Winner is knocked to the ground. Standing takes a standard action, and until the character stands, they are limited to Cautious movement only, and all actions are performed at -3D

Throw – As Knockdown, but the loser takes Damage when they hit the ground. Damage is winner’s Strength -1D (plus any modifiers from Lightsaber Forms or Force abilities). The winner may choose to reduce the damage inflicted within the scope of the damage roll.

Entangle – The winner entangles the loser in curtains, hanging wires or vines, or their own clothing. Results are determined by the degree in which the loser is entangled. If temporarily blinded, the loser suffers -4D to all actions. If one or both arms are trapped, the loser suffers -1D (one arm) or -3D (both arms) to Dexterity. If the loser’s legs are immobilized, they suffer -2D to all actions, and they cannot move. Penalties are cumulative if the character is entangled in more than one fashion. All penalties last until the character can disentangle themselves, with difficulty and time varying with the degree of entrapment (GM’s decision).

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> House Rules All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
Page 3 of 3

Jump to: