The Rancor Pit Forum Index
Welcome to The Rancor Pit forums!

The Rancor Pit Forum Index
FAQ   ::   Search   ::   Memberlist   ::   Usergroups   ::   Register   ::   Profile   ::   Log in to check your private messages   ::   Log in

Aing-Tii and the Force
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> House Rules -> Aing-Tii and the Force Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
View previous topic :: View next topic  
garhkal
Sovereign Protector
Sovereign Protector

PostPosted: Thu Jan 13, 2011 8:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Object however you might, but Vision of the Future and the source material in the Jedi Academy Training Manual are canon

Madwand.. how are they canon when those books don't exist for the D6 system?
CRMcNeill
Director of Engineering
Director of Engineering

Location: Redding System, California Sector, on the I-5 Hyperspace Route.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 13, 2011 9:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Madwand wrote:
Object however you might, but Vision of the Future and the source material in the Jedi Academy Training Manual are canon.

Actually, they are official, not canon. Canon covers only the movies and the novels (and the radio scripts for E4, 5 and 6)

Madwand wrote:
A single very good Force-user CAN fairly easily teleport vehicles vast distances using those rules. Not every GM will want to allow their players to do that, but as I've said that isn't an issue here. Gary's conversion of Fold Space just does not allow a Force-user to do what the original power describes. It has several problems, but the main one is how it specifies difficulty due to mass. I'm sorry, but I just don't KNOW the mass of a Star Wars ship. Even if I did, I suspect the difficulty numbers specified by his conversion would be unrealistically high, as he starts at a few kilograms rather than "medium" human size AND he adds on distance as a separate target number adder, among several other disadvantages compared to the original writeup.

Well, in that case, if you don't know the mass, I would return to my original suggestion of using the ship's hull rating and scale modifier. And where is WOTC getting the idea that one person can do this? Just because they arbitrarily say that one person can do it doesn't make it realistic. The only example of a single person using this power is Jorj Car'das using it to teleport a pitcher of water from the kitchen to the conversation room. Allowing one person to transport a massive starship across hundreds or thousands of lightyears all by himself is almost the definition of munchkin.

My other issue with your conversion is that it too closely resembles D20 stats, with the inclusion of the mastery ability. Gry Srth's conversion follows the WEG pattern of combining it all into one ability, with ascending scales of difficulty. The use of space units is fine if you are playing on a grid square, but the WEG game wasn't designed to be played that way. Using the modified by proximity rules both simplifies gameplay and allows the system to cover both Space Fold and the associated mastery ability.

And as I said before, do what you want. You certainly don't have to prove anything to me or anyone else on the forum. If you want to go with your idea, just go with it.

The CRMcNeill Stat/Rule Index
CRMcNeill
Director of Engineering
Director of Engineering

PostPosted: Thu Jan 13, 2011 9:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

hazardchris wrote:
It is, with the added bonus that you can interact with certain objects. Or at least, that's how I ran it. You can also leave impressions of yourself. Once, I had him encounter someone's impression while he was flow-walking due to a complication on the wild die.

My understanding was the Flow-Walking differed from Farseeing in that with Farseeing, one would open themselves to the Force and allow it to show them visions of the future, while with Flow-Walking, they could look for a particular event in the past or the future, so long as the monk knew the location he was looking for, and that he could alter other's perceptions of the past and make minor alterations to the future while doing so.

CRMcNeill
Director of Engineering
Director of Engineering

PostPosted: Thu Jan 13, 2011 9:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Madwand wrote:
That sounds really interesting. What other powers did the Aing-Tii have in your universe? Were you mostly making them up or did you have a source for some of them?

Pursuant to this discussion, I've been rereading Vision of the Future, and there is some evidence to suggest that Aing-Tii might also be capable of Fallanassi style illusions as well. When Karrde and Shada first visit Jorj Car'das, he is a frail old man in a hospital bed in a cluttered room. When they come back to visit him, the hospital bed and most of the contents of the room are gone. Subsequently, at Car'das' bidding, the back wall of the room disappears to reveal a rail-car tunnel. Now, this could be evidence of a sophisticated hologram system, or it could be evidence of a Force power-based illusion.

garhkal
Sovereign Protector
Sovereign Protector

PostPosted: Fri Jan 14, 2011 4:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Knowing who Cardas was i lean to holo..
CRMcNeill
Director of Engineering
Director of Engineering

PostPosted: Fri Jan 14, 2011 11:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

garhkal wrote:
Knowing who Cardas was i lean to holo..

Perhaps, but there is enough ambiguity there that one could go either way. What makes me lean towards Force power is the original description of the room; it was small and crowded with medical equipment and the bed, and with shelves covered in useless nick-nacks. On the second visit, all of that stuff was gone. The description of the room makes me think that it would be small enough that there would be a serious danger of Karrde or Shada getting close enough to something to realize it was a holo (i.e. passing through a shelf instead of bumping into it). Car'das couldn't guarantee that that wouldn't happen, and if it did happen, the game would've been up.

garhkal
Sovereign Protector
Sovereign Protector

PostPosted: Fri Jan 14, 2011 11:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Depends if he did it, similar to the trek holo decks.

But i see your point.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> House Rules All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
Page 3 of 3

Jump to: